KANSAS CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Job Title: Elementary Teacher
Job Title Code: 880
Salary Grade: T01 -T06
Department: Curriculum, Instruction and Professional Development
Reports To: Building Principal
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date Prepared: November 2017 - Reviewed 2019
PURPOSE OF JOB
Teaches elementary school students academic, social, and motor skills in public schools by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares course objectives and outline for course of study following curriculum guidelines or requirements of state and school.
- Lectures, demonstrates, and uses audiovisual teaching aids to present subject matter to class.
- Prepares, administers, and corrects tests, and records results.
- Assign lessons, corrects papers, and hears oral presentations.
- Teaches rules of conduct.
- Maintains order in classroom and on playground.
- Counsels pupils when adjustment and academic problems arise.
- Discusses pupils' academic and behavioral attitudes and achievements with parents.
- Keeps attendance and grade records as required by school.
- Coordinates class field trips.
- Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education from four-year College or University.
- Missouri State Certification in Elementary Education
- Demonstrated experience and/or training in current techniques and skills in teaching elementary level students.
- Teaching experience in urban schools.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Length of work year: 8 hours per day; 5 days/week; 185 work days
Benefits: Health and Dental Insurance are provided.
KCPS Defined Benefit Pension plan -mandatory 9% contributionis required from employee and matched by KCPS; Voluntary retirement savings plans are also available.