Work Shift: 7p-7a
Work Week: Works weekdays and rotating weekends
JOB SUMMARY: The EMT-Paramedic assists in the delivery of patient care and services to defined patient groups and their families under direction of the Registered Nurse, Manager, Director and Administrative Coordinator. The EMT- Paramedic practices Relationship Centered Care in concert with Houston Methodist Hospital System's values of Integrity, Accountability, Respect, Compassion and Excellence and the Methodist Experience standards.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS:
Demonstrates competence in the clinical skills required for patient care. Accurately identifies the patient using standardized patient identification protocols and resolves any discrepancies prior to caring for patient. Participates in the education of the patient and family, as appropriate.
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Functions as a team member, responding willingly to colleagues needs for assistance and partnership. Coordinates the patient work flow, problem-solves, directs other techs, manages several ongoing priorities with minimal supervision.
2. Serves as leader, using critical thinking, in several capacities; mentors new EMT-P, EMT-I and PCA personnel as to unit procedures, role and unit readiness and as team leader in patient decontamination operations. Accurately sorts patients, according to severity, upon arrival; initiating and notifying the R.N. of patient requiring immediate attention.
1. Observes patients, making hourly rounds, for condition change and reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to the licensed nurse. Repeats vital signs according to policy. Accompanies and monitors high risk patients out of the department as delegated. Responds to the nurse call system, contacts nursing personnel as appropriate, and follows through with meeting standards as defined by the Registered Nurse.
1. Performs and records diagnostic measures, treatment and procedures, as determined by skills training and validation (i.e., vital signs, 12 Lead EKG, phlebotomy, I.V. catheter insertion, splinting, specimen collection, immobilization by backboard, extrication from vehicles) in accordance with established policies and procedures.
2. Follows all safety rules on the job. Reports all accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the work place.
1. Records all aspects of care administered, including height, weight, allergies and medication lists, in the patient medical record according to established procedures. Maintains and accurately processes and updates patient records, e.g., recording of patient's medications, obtaining lab and other study results, identification labels, patients' valuables, etc. assuring all forms are properly identified with the patient's name and contents are filed correctly.
1. Takes responsibility for reviewing hospital communication, revised/new policies and procedures, staff meeting minutes (100%) and attends at least 4 staff meetings per calendar year.
2. Departmental communications; initiating calls, following up according to prescribed timeframes. Maintains an accurate log, based on accurate activities, of calls made to physicians, other facilities and ancillary departments. Follows up with calls/pages not returned in thirty minutes.
3. Maintains an orderly environment that facilitates access to supplies, equipment, and resource information. Assists in the inventory, monitoring and ordering supplies and medical equipment to maintain par levels.
- High school diploma, GED or its equivalent
- Completion of EMT (Paramedic) program OR Licensed Paramedic
- 6 months required; 1 year of hospital experience preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
- CPR, ACLS and EMT-P (State of Texas) OR Licensed Paramedic required
- PALS preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Must be able to pass a basic EKG interpretation skills test
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened in December 2000 to serve the comprehensive health care needs of the growing community in Northwest Houston. The 312 bed hospital has 17 operating rooms, and more than 1,900 employees. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has been named a Magnet recognized health care facility by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program® and was ranked No. 8 in the Houston metro area and No. 19 in Texas by U.S. News & World Report as a “Best Hospital” in 2016. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital is Northwest Houston's regional leader in robotic minimally-invasive surgeries and specializes in cardiology and cardiovascular services, neurology, neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, and comprehensive cancer services. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has a Breast Care Center, Cancer Center, Imaging Center, Infusion Center, Sleep Center, Surgical Weight Loss Center and operates the largest Childbirth Center in the greater Northwest Houston area.