This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
What Your Job Will Be Like
Telemetry is looking for a unique individual to play a key role in NSA encryption certification of classified data transmission. The successful candidate’s contributions will impact at least four programs, and success will require identifying ways to consolidate efforts and maximize efficiency across those programs. Skills in electrical engineering and design validation will be used frequently. Using and combining knowledge of nuclear weapon product realization and other product realization processes will be essential and some knowledge of encryption technology is desired.
- Make tangible contributions to the maturation of classified data encryption from a design, test and programmatic perspective
- Collaborate with team members to identify issues and solutions and formulate the best way to communicate them
- Assume ownership of various aspects of cryptographic hardware testing, including test planning
- Develop a comprehensive knowledge of the testing needed for successful certification of cryptography hardware
- Understand and implement NSA guidance and requirements into components such that performance can be validated in hardware and firmware
- Team with others to orchestrate and execute SVT testing and document results
- Use schematics to understand and troubleshoot design hardware and test equipment
- Work with other organizations to facilitate communication with external stakeholders
- Understand safety and security requirements and adhere to them in a lab environment
- Be comfortable authoring and maintaining technical documents and supporting configuration management
- Demonstrate self-motivation and the desire to work toward goals when the path may not be entirely clear
Qualifications We Require
- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or relevant discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance
Qualifications We Desire
- Engineering or scientific experience and/or achievements that demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform most elements of the job description
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment and collaborate with internal organizations and external customers, vendors and stakeholders
- FPGA and/or electrical design experience
- Experience with VHDL
- Evidence of self-motivation to meet objectives on schedule
- Demonstrated logical problem solving
- Possess the ability to synthesize test issues into solutions via suggestions on design modification
- Experience with the NW product realization process
- Familiarity with NSA certification processes for cryptographic products
- Familiarity or experience with TEMPEST testing
- Experience with TeamForge
- Product qualification experience
About Our Team
Sandia California's Telemetry Engineering Capabilities team (08437) develops and maintains telemetry systems in support of the nuclear deterrence surveillance mission. Telemetry systems has responsibility for all aspects of telemetry research and development, including developing novel telemetry capabilities, prototype development and testing, and transitioning production work to DOE production agencies. Telemetry systems integrate precision sensor electronics and signal conditioning with RF communication systems to support flight testing of Joint Test Assemblies. Work is performed by teams of electrical and mechanical engineers, in partnership with quality engineering, reliability engineering and project management.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.