Engineer, Chemical Maintenance-(Aurora, North Carolina, U.S.A.)
At Nutrien, our Purpose is to grow our world from the ground up and we do so with safety and integrity as our core values. Nothing is more important than sending our people home safe, every day.
Nutrien is a leading provider of agricultural products, services, and solutions. With approximately 20,000 employees world-wide, we are the largest producer of potash (by capacity) and one of the world’s largest producers of nitrogen and phosphate. We also operate a leading agriculture retail network that services over 500,000 growers.
We harvest the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for people who have a safety-first mindset, who are collaborative team players, who deliver on their commitments, who are innovators in search of a better way, and who believe in inclusion.
Working at Nutrien will provide you an opportunity to help us Feed the Future, and grow your career.
This position reports directly to the Chemical Maintenance Superintendent.
What you will do:
- Ensure all safety, environmental, productivity and quality targets are met for the mining related project(s) the incumbent is assigned to
- Maintain knowledge of the assigned area, its equipment, operations, and inter-dependency with other chemical plant processes
- Identify, plan and manage projects that will optimize the productivity of the chemical plant operations at Aurora.
- Ensure that the projects are completed in a cost-effective manner and on schedule
- Review equipment, functions, and methodologies in the Chemical Maintenance Department for potential improvements and upgrades in technology
- Plan, approve, and manage projects that address increasing efficiency while ensuring that all local, state and federal guidelines are observed
- Prepare engineering reports in response to requests submitted by other departments including proposed project scope of work, technical and economic evaluations, system and component specifications, engineering sketches and drawings, project schedules and cost estimates, and safety and environmental impact evaluations/recommendations.
- Project management responsibility associated with capital projects, including design, specifications, preparation, purchase requisitions, bid analysis, direct construction activities, participate in start-up, direct contract engineering services, cost control, schedule control and reporting
- Conduct well-organized and controlled meetings with peers and higher management
- Direct emergency maintenance jobs, as assigned
- Function as technical advisor to Operations and Maintenance
- Perform project oversight activities in the chemical plants
- Initiate purchase requisitions for approved capital projects, selects contractors, equipment and materials; approves related invoices on purchase orders
- Prepare project designs specifications/drawings, using engineering principles, standards, codes and experience
- Plan, schedule, supervise/inspect and correct deficiencies for design and construction activities related to approved projects
- Influences decisions made by senior management in situations concerning capital projects
- The Chemical Maintenance Engineer is accountable for the end results of:
- Technical recommendations within field of expertise
- Efficient and safe system designs
- Development of and adherence to project schedules and cost estimates
- Project documentation
- Quality control during project design, construction and start-up
- Conduct all work in a professional manner with a legal and ethical obligation to protect the safety of employees, the environment, the community and the best interests of the company
- Conveyance of new project technical and training information to the Operating and Maintenance departments
What you will bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering, is required
Minimum 2 years industrial plant maintenance and/or reliability engineering experience
1 to 2 years Vibration Analysis Experience or documented training
1 to 2 years Lubrication program experience or documented training
PE-Professional Engineer technical certification is preferred
- 5+ years of experience in leadership, is preferred
- 5 years of project management responsibility, is preferred
- Understanding of the process for justification of major capital expenditures and return on investments
- Ability to simultaneously handle multiple projects in the office and troubleshoot problems in the field
- Ability to conceive, develop, and evaluate plans and criteria for solving a variety of unique and complex engineering problems
- Ability to solve engineering, material substitution and scheduling problems, while maintaining an acceptable project cost and schedule
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Project management and organizational skills
- Ability to oversee a project to completion
- Field construction problem-solving, including scheduling with Operations, Maintenance, Purchasing, Environmental, Safety and contractor forces to ensure that resources are available for shut-downs requiring continuous work effort, with optimum efficiency and solve unforeseen problems arising during a project effort
- Must pass a pre-employment exam and drug screening
Seminars, meetings and continuing education in the field of expertise are required to maintain an up-to-date working knowledge
Are you a good match? Apply today!
Nutrien is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics
This job will remain posted until filled. In accordance with Nutrien policies, you will be required to undergo a background check and may be required to undergo a substance test. While we appreciate all applications we receive, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
To stay connected to us and for the latest job postings and news, follow us on: LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran