The Northrop Grumman Mission Systems Western Region Engineering, Sciences & Technology (ES&T) organization in Northern California is seeking an experienced Electromechanical Engineer to join our team of qualified and diverse individuals. This position is based at the Airborne & Terrestrial SIGINT Operating Unit in Sacramento, CA. The qualified applicant will be responsible for leading the mechanical design, analysis, verification, and documentation of a high voltage system with multiple configured items.
The engineer will apply mechanical, electrical, and electronic principles to components and systems, including assembly, analysis, and documentation of results; construction of developmental assemblies, subassemblies and components; electronic packaging; and testing. The engineer will support and participate in the design, test, modification, fabrication, assembly, integration, and verification of prototype electromechanical systems.
This position may require some business related travel.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Develops high reliability electronics with high power and small form factors subject to harsh environments
Collaborates with circuit card designers to define interfaces, parts placement, and assembly requirements
Performs structural analysis (stress, deflections, stiffness, etc.) using hand calculations and finite element analysis to demonstrate design integrity under shock and random vibration
Performs thermal analysis (conductivity, dissipation, junction temperature) using hand calculations and finite element analysis to demonstrate design integrity for high power assemblies
Develops technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity
Develops and presents design review/technical data content for peer and customer presentations
Creates technical data packages including bill of materials, fabrication, modification, assembly drawings, and models
Employs strong interpersonal and communication skills while leading a team of several mechanical engineers
Promotes knowledge transfer within the organization by sharing of lessons learned and best practices
Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignment; completed work is reviewed from a relatively long-term perspective, for desired results
Guides the successful completion of major programs and may function in a project leadership role; erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in failure to achieve major organizational objectives.
Represents the organization as the prime technical contact on contracts and projects; interacts with senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations
- US Citizen with ability to obtain and maintain TS/SCI clearance
- BS in a STEM discipline (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) with 9+ years of relevant work experience; or Masters in a STEM discipline with 7+ years of relevant work experience
- 5+ years of experience with use of PTC Creo (Pro/E)
- 3+ years of experience with Mentor FloTHERM
- 3+ years of experience with high reliability/military electronics design
- 3+ years of experience with GD&T per ASME Y14.5
- Current TS/SCI clearance with polygraph completed in the last 5 years
- Experience with design and development of high voltage electronic systems
- Experience with natural convection, forced convection, and liquid cooling techniques
- Experience in consultative skills, emotional intelligence, and collaborative techniques
- Experience in hardware systems engineering, including proposal development, requirements definition, structured decision making, verification methods, and risk management
- Experience in meeting cost and schedule targets subject to Earned Value Management
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.