Engineer I, Transport Engineering will design, implement, and support the company’s region wide Transport Engineering Network which includes; DWDM, ROADM, Optical, SONET, Ethernet, M&C, DACS and Synchronization systems. Collaborate with other departments to ensure the delivery of a reliable and scalable network while meeting business and customer’s needs. Provide expert level engineering knowledge and mentorship to internal and external customers.
Position’s Customer(s): All GCI business units and some external customers.
Essential Duties of All Levels in the Position:
· Transport Engineering Design, Implementation and Documentation
· Proof of concept, lab work, service architecture and site surveys
· Capital Project Planning and development
· Effective Communication and collaboration
· Project reviews and updates
· Tier 3 & 4 network support
Additional Job Requirements: This is an entry level position for the degreed engineer. Must be competent at preforming engineering calculations for further review by senior staff. Completes tasks on time and within budget. In this role you will be able to effectively communicate day in and out with peering teams and customers. You will collaborate, be a team member and willing participant in meetings, scheduled calls and one on one sessions.
Essential Duties for this position:
• Transport Engineering Implementation and Documentation
• Transport Engineering Design, Capital Project planning and development, and project reviews and updates
• Effective Communication and Collaboration
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• A level understanding of standard engineering concepts that support space, power and fiber.
• Being open to learn time management skills which manage complex projects on time and within budget
• A working knowledge of TCP/IP and routing protocols
• The practice of analytical thinking and how it impacts the network environment
• Strong use of interpersonal skills, creativity and communication
• Extended capability in using Microsoft Office tools; Excel, Word, Outlook and Visio
• Basic understanding of Ethernet and SONET concepts
• This is an entry level position that requires the willingness to learn and grow within the company.
• For the degreed engineer, minimum one-year experience of relevant and progressive technical experience within a telecommunications industry.
• High School diploma or equivalent required.
• Bachelor’s degree Electrical / Mechanical / Telecommunications or similar Engineering programs.
• In addition to minimum experience required, education may be substituted with relevant experience on a year for year basis.
• Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued and may contribute toward education.
o Associate Level
§ Cisco: CCNA, MEF CECP are a plus
Job Requirements at All Levels
Position reports to: Senior Manager Transport Engineering
Number of Direct Reports (if applicable): N/A
Physical Requirements: Visual acuity necessary to utilize a computer monitor throughout the course of a normal workday. Ability to perform repetitive keyboarding activities and operate general office equipment. Must have the ability to communicate orally, both in person and over the telephone.
Working Conditions: Work is performed at company’s headquarters during a normal 40-hour workweek and may require additional hours to meet project goals or deadlines. Occasional travel for business and training purposes is required.
The company and its subsidiaries operate in a 24/7 environment providing critical services to Alaskans and may need to respond to public health and safety matters or other business emergencies. Due to business needs employees may be contacted outside of the normal business hours to respond to the immediate emergency. You will be requested to provide an emergency after hours contact numbers.
Driving Requirements (if applicable): Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance, and a satisfactory driving record. Must be able to drive, as use of personal vehicle for transportation between various company facilities within the Anchorage area is required.
EEO: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or another characteristic protected by law.