Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions and consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Foursquare’s business solutions include Pilgrim SDK, Places API, Analytics, Placed powered by Foursquare, and Pinpoint. Together, these products empower brands to analyze trends; measure foot traffic lift; optimize advertising campaigns; and drive deeper engagement via Foursquare’s industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 150,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Snapchat, Tinder, TripAdvisor, Twitter and Uber. Our toolkit also includes our consumer apps Foursquare City Guide and Swarm. Over the past 10 years, we’ve counted more than 13 billion verified signals from people around the world, helping us to keep our dynamic map and models fresh and up-to-date.
About the Role:
Foursquare is seeking an experienced Engineering Director to lead the evolution of the data platform teams and tech upon which our products and our business are built. You will liaise with business and product leaders to align efforts/priorities with business goals. You will help to optimize team structure and process to drive execution and accountability as well as provide career development, coaching, and mentorship to the members of your teams, and cultivate emerging leaders. This role will identify and surface staffing needs, and think strategically about the growth and evolution of the team(s). You will establish and enforce process for change management, disaster recovery, business continuity, and (internal) customer usage/access while partnering with product eng to build a culture of shared responsibility around change management, performance, failure resolution, and quality control. You will drive efforts to control costs, perform contract review and vendor approval diligence, and own large strategic vendor relationships.
- Provides leadership across the Big-data architecture community in Foursquare to ensure solutions are built in alignment with data-platform teams principles and standards.
- Ensures that all relevant project teams follow a common set of principles and patterns and utilize a standard set of Big-data/AWS technology and tools.
- Acts as an evangelist for the data-platform team and works with teams in Foursquare to keep them apprised of future plans.
- Determines OKRs, project planning and resource requirements to accomplish projects and support customers.
- Oversees the development, implementation and execution of multiple projects ensuring scope and schedule are established for projects; oversees operating plan and resource allocation for the department, including prioritization and staff deployment; acts based on changed priorities.
- Formulates and executes process and organizational improvement direction and programs which enhance overall effectiveness; proactively seeks ways to improve human resource and other management processes.
- Weighs in on key technical and managerial decisions for the team.
- 8+ years of proven industry experience and background in big data
- Collaborate with leaders/managers to converge on strategic direction for modernization and evolution of platform.
- Establish and enforce process for change management, disaster recovery, business continuity, and (internal) customer usage/access.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of how to diagnose and shift culture and organizational processes and awareness around security
- Comfortable with managing many work streams, and coordinating resources and prioritizing work across teams
- Ability to interface with senior management and executives, including assessing and communicating risk
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.