Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
The Engineering Manager is responsible for supervising a functional Engineering staff and managing and coordinating several Engineering, Planning, Design, and Construction projects and activities related to Water Resources Systems and/or American Water building facilities.
- Manages several assigned Engineering Projects and programs of varying scope including coordination of Consultants and Contractors and the direct supervision of Company Engineering professional and support personnel during planning, design, and/or construction activities.
- Schedules and monitors performance, adherence to standards and adherence to the Company's business plan as it relates to the responsible projects and programs.
- Plans and monitors budgets and schedules for Engineering Projects and programs, and overseas the maintenance of technical and engineering records including work in progress.
- Assists in developing, implementing and monitoring conformance with comprehensive and strategic investment plans.
- Supervises a functional Engineering staff within the limits of assigned
- Engineering projects and programs. Guides and serves as technical advisor to lower-level Engineers and other personnel requiring technical direction.
- Recommends selection of Engineering and/or construction firms for consideration to perform projects.
- Ensures Engineering compliance with established Company and regulatory criteria, specifications and standards.
- Interacts with governmental agencies and manages and supervises programs to obtain permits, certifications and approvals for assigned projects and programs.
- Develops a sound organization staffed with able and motivated employees and provides for or trains suitable replacement.
- Manages and supervises other technical/operations, related projects, i.e., unaccounted for water, equipment maintenance, etc. Ensures that policies, procedures, programs, standards of performance and approved objectives are adhered to and/or achieved.
- Broad knowledge of Engineering theory related to planning, design and operations concepts for water resource management facilities,
- Engineering and utility economics and knowledge of contract administration and construction technology related to water facilities.
- Good working knowledge of regulatory developments, new technology and current trends in water quality and water treatment and other related water resource management disciplines.
- Knowledge of applicable state and federal regulations.
- Knowledge of Company operations and procedures.
- Knowledge of employee relations, applicable safety and environmental regulations, federal and state water quality and design regulations and technical standards.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience in water utility or related field.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering. Advanced Degree desired.
- Management/People Leader experiece is required
Prioritizes & Role Models Safety
Plans, Aligns, & Directs
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.