A subsidiary of IDEAL, Western Forge produces the highest-quality metal work in the USA and is an American standard in premier hand tool craftsmanship. IDEAL INDUSTRIES, Inc. has been propelled by the principles of its founder, J. Walter Becker, for nearly a century. Since the beginning, this family-run enterprise has been committed to building ideal relationships with its customers, employees and communities, creating some of the industry’s most innovative and trusted products along the way. This commitment to quality and service will continue to spur the success of IDEAL INDUSTRIES, Inc. and its family of companies, for generations to come.
The Engineering Manager provides overall leadership to Western Forge’s manufacturing engineering team and is responsible for the design, development and continuous improvement of manufacturing processes, equipment, and tooling required for the manufacturing and assembly of new and existing products. This must be accomplished in an environment where safety is first and a balanced ‘lean’ attack continually achieves and improves Quality/Service/Productivity. This position must partner with other functional areas, customers and suppliers in order to align engineering activities with established business objectives and product/customer requirements. The Ideal candidate is driven to achieve results, is self-motivated, and strategic in orientation. All of this must be done in alignment with our culture, core values, LEAN and safety-first approach.
This position is located in beautiful Colorado Springs, Colorado - ranked as the #1 most desirable place to live in the United States in 2018 by a survey in U.S. News & World Report.
- Develops new and improved manufacturing processes. This may be completed by analyzing and improving plant layout, purchasing new and more efficient equipment, and finding ways to reduce manufacturing costs.
- Manages and prioritizes multiple complex manufacturing engineering projects, ensuring projects meet or exceed requirements, are on-time, and within budget.
- Leads/champions LEAN/continuous improvement within manufacturing that include equipment/fixture design and/or process changes.
- Partners with design engineering to transition new products from product development to a production environment.
- Monitors and reports on items such as cost reductions, downtime, and capital expenditures.
- Prepares cost estimates and capital requests for proposed projects and evaluates cost factors.
- Develops departmental strategies and corresponding expense and capital budgets to support plant objectives.
- Researches and resolves product integrity issues with a very high sense of urgency.
- Establishes a strong and credible preventive maintenance program, focused on safety, quality, and cost
- Builds and encourages a culture of innovation, customer-focus, and employee engagement.
- Requires a four year degree in metallurgical, industrial, or mechanical engineering or related field.
- 7-10 years of progressive experience in manufacturing engineering with at least two years in a leadership role within a manufacturing organization.
- Previous experience successfully leading and implementing LEAN tools and techniques in a manufacturing environment, with demonstrated positive results.
- Solid background in design and manufacturing principles, with preferred experience in machining, forging, and injection molding/extrusion.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and lead multiple, concurrent projects and key initiatives based on distinct needs of the business
- Must be able to effectively manage an engineering department and related resources.
- Strong collaboration skills and demonstrated ability to effectively lead across functions.
- Ability to quickly understand and apply new technology.
- Exceptional troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, and implement recommendations that align with company and plant strategic and operational goals.
- Problem solving and decision making
- Drive for Results
- Process Management
- Action Orientation
- Business Acumen
- Innovation Management
- Customer Focus
IDEAL INDUSTRIES is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.