Our Fairbanks Morse design team is currently looking for an Engineering Manager to join us out of our headquarters in Beloit. As an Engineering Design Manager, you will provide design group leadership and execute component and assembly mechanical design and analysis activities for all of the department’s engine programs as well as the drafting/modeling/analysis needs from Manufacturing and Field Service. Your primary goal is to release new bills of materials for manufacturing, support manufacturing outsourcing when required, and support obsolescence when it comes to on-engine components.
EnPro Industries companies are known for our focus on a Dual Bottom Line culture where we seek to enable the full release of human possibility through individual development while achieving strong financial returns. We invest in our employees and provide opportunities for them to make a difference while building a culture that reflects our core values of safety, excellence and respect. Each person has the opportunity to truly make an impact as an integral part of a collective..
Responsibilities of the Engineering Manager, Design:
- Coordinate planning, organization, control, integration and completion of department design projects, including the review of product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, customer contract requirements, and related specifications.
- Manage activities associated with technical development, scheduling, and resolving engineering design problems through resource forecasting process aligned to Engineering needs.
- Lead the best-practice design rules for component dimensioning, datum callout, and tolerancing per ASME Y14.5-2009 as well as any in-house cross functional design review efforts.
- Develop and mentor team and execute the department strategy and capability growth efforts by developing staff capabilities, recruiting, and managing technical deliverables of design team.
- Responsible for the design training activities such as GD&T, SolidWorks, ANSYS, etc.
- Lead design activities, identify annual capital needs, manage design team budget, and provide design and analysis support for
- Cost reduction, NCR and value engineering projects, including modeling, red-lined drawings, design analysis and/or validation of critical engine components
- Existing and new projects for design and redesign
- Release Bills of Materials and ECOs
- New Sales RFQ Design and/or Analysis Need
- Failure Analysis activities
- Own the Engineering Change Process (reporting the ECO weekly progress, leading ECRB meetings and driving for improvement) and maintain centrally located component design records.
- Support IT on PLM/PDM (Enovia) implementation and upgrades by leading the Engineering Functional Activities and being the POC for Engineering.
- Leverage manufacturing experience to reduce cost and lead times of prototype and production components.
Required Qualifications of the Engineering Manager, Design:
- Completed Bachelor’s Degree in an engineering field
- 10 years of experience as an engineer, in a design role in a manufacturing environment designing components of internal combustion engines, and must have
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes as well as castings, forgings, and heavy steel fabrications as these relate to component design
- Experience with design and development of engine components and systems (power cylinders, linings, crankshafts, pistons, bearings, journal bearings, etc.)
- Understanding of engine performance, combustion, and emissions relative component design and analysis/knowledge of engine performance and the relationships to component design
- 5 years of experience working with 2D and 3D modeling design tools, including a PDM or PLM system and CAD
- 2 years of management experience or experience as a senior member of the team leading others cross functionally
- This position requires access or potential access to Unclassified Naval Nuclear Propulsion Information, which is Not Releasable to Foreign Nationals (NOFORN) data. Therefore, to meet NOFORN requirement, you will have to provide proof of US Citizenship and attest that you do not have dual citizenship. Acceptable proof of US Citizenship is a US Passport, US Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate.
Preferred Qualifications of the Engineering Manager, Design:
- Completed Master’s Degree in an engineering field
- Experience with FEA (Finite Element Analysis) software, such as ANSYS or ABAQUS
Fairbanks Morse offers significant career development opportunities as well as competitive salary and benefits packages including health and life insurance, 401(k) with company match at 6%, tuition reimbursement, and an open vacation policy.
About Fairbanks Morse
For 125 years, Fairbanks Morse has been powering the world forward with innovative distributed power generation solutions that deliver optimal performance in a wide range of applications from base load and standby in municipal, nuclear, and institutional facilities to locomotive engines, and naval and commercial-class ship propulsion and shipboard power. Reliable and dependable, their flagship Opposed Piston (OP) engine technology has been trusted for decades and has totaled over 100 million operating hours – many units with over 40 years of service. Joining the quarter century club because of how long people stick around the company due to growth and opportunity. Learn more about how Fairbanks Morse is committed to delivering power where it is needed most in the world by visiting www.fairbanksmorse.com.
EnPro Industries and companies are Equal Opportunity Employers.