Greenheck Group is adding an Engineering Manager to their Louvers team. This person will be responsible for the overall management of the engineering function. Duties include complete project management on the development and testing of product designs and redesigns to ensure product offerings meet company objectives for functionality, quality, cost-effectiveness and timeliness.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate activities of an engineering team comprised of product development engineers, designers and drafter personnel in the process of new product development or current product redesign and testing.
- Provide product engineering support to sales, marketing and manufacturing personnel. May include input on special design requests, assistance with field application problems and providing direction on shop floor problems.
- Maintain knowledge of new technologies that may be appropriate in either product development or in manufacturing processes to improve competitive position.
- Prioritize product development projects, with assistance from sales, marketing and manufacturing, to ensure that limited resources are allocated to those projects which will most greatly benefit the Company, both short term and in the future.
- Identify critical missing pieces from product offerings and implement action to bring needed items into the design stage.
- Continually improve the Company’s competitive position by ensuring that products are of the highest quality, can be manufactured efficiently and at the lowest cost possible. Participate on internal value engineering task forces as needed.
- Monitor completion of projects for timeliness and assess workload of direct reports.
- Develop and manage budget dollars for the engineering function.
- Hire, train and develop a highly skilled engineering team. This includes completing performance appraisals, recommending ongoing training for team members, addressing discipline situations as necessary and making staffing recommendations.
- Provide technical assistance and feedback to subordinates, resolving conflicts as needed.
- Display excellent communication skills with external contacts, other departments and employees within the area, both verbally and in written communications and documentation.
- Review the testing of new designs, interpreting test data and recommending necessary corrective action based on test data. May interface with agencies associated with certifying products (AMCA, UL, etc.).
- Review, along with purchasing personnel, the selection and specification of new purchased component parts for product designs.
Business Unit Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Interface with outside vendors for structural calculations and product coating information.
- Work requires a professional level of knowledge in a specialized field, which is equivalent to that which would be acquired by completing a minimum of a regular four-year college program. A master’s degree in a related field is preferred.
- Minimum 5 -10 years of experience required.
Knowledge of structural calculations and experience in aluminum component analysis is a plus.
The preceding statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people in this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills.