The Engineering Manager will be responsible for managing their Engineering department, focusing on project management of new business through design implementation and quality approval processes from start to successful readiness for production. The position will support the up-front Sales function, by preparing quotations, working with customers on DFM (Design for Manufacturing), etc. This person will work closely with the internal teams in quality, tool room, production, sales and customer service as well as with customers in a variety of industries.
- Effectively and regularly communicate with customers, meet deadlines, provide progress updates, and measurables.
- Support sales team with presentations, design options and meetings with customers.
- Oversee program management of new tools, modify existing designs.
- Provide technical customer support on new jobs and engineering changes.
- Work with management, production and sales to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness and customer demand for new and existing products.
- Direct department activities to design new tools, modify existing designs, improve production techniques and develop test procedures. Use innovative and creative ideas to make projects feasible and profitable.
- Management responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, training, planning, assigning and directing work; ensuring Engineering Departmental and Process Procedures are followed and responsible for updating as necessary; appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints and resolving issues.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but no required
- 5-10 years related experience leading multiple large projects/departments in a high-volume, complex product manufacturing environment
- Must have prior casting experience (die cast, gravity cast, sand casting, etc.)
- Proven track-record of managing complex business / intense cost savings projects through the entire development of the business plan through execution
- Professional presence, well organized, highly motivated individual with entrepreneurial spirit who can work with little or no direction
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff, senior management and customers in both business and technical areas
- Team player who is able to work effectively by managing cross-functional teams by influence without authority
- Excellent verbal and written communication is a must
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong business and accounting acumen
- Ability to quote projected costs and experience with P&L
- Working knowledge of CAD preferred