We are a profitable, fast growing technology company on a mission to make education accessible. Our focus is to simplify and accelerate learning and help people unlock opportunities for a better future.
Study.com helps over 30 million students and teachers each month improve grades, gain career skills and earn college credit through our video-based micro-learning platform. We’ve built our platform from the ground up, leveraging data and technology to make the entire learning process simple and engaging.
As a fast growing, independent company, our employees have a direct impact on company direction and results. We are looking for passionate, talented individuals to join our team, so we can have an even bigger impact towards our mission.
We are located in the heart of downtown Mountain View, just a few steps from the Caltrain station. We only hire top talent, so those who pass our rigorous interview process will find themselves as part of one of the brightest and most innovative teams in Silicon Valley.
We have a culture of social responsibility. As we continue to generate profits, we give back to the community through our Working Scholars scholarship program that helps hundreds of low-income workers in the Bay Area earn a bachelor’s degree at no cost and achieve economic and career mobility. We also donate to charitable organizations that help provide open access to information and education throughout the poorest regions of the world.
Study.com was recently ranked as an Inc. Best Place to Work! Come join us on our mission and make a difference.
About the Team
At Study.com our software engineers help our cross-functional teams rally around common goals and deliver valuable features frequently – sometimes multiple times a day. Our full stack developers work on the front- and back-end, emphasizing collaboration, learning and fast feedback, including pair programming and regular (constructive!) code reviews. We invest in developers’ growth, which reflects and reinforces our mission to make education accessible.
About the Software Engineering Manager Position
We are looking for a talented, Software Engineering Manager who loves coding and can also bring strong leadership to a group of fullstack software engineers. In this role, you should be a "player/coach" - excited about managing and coaching software engineers, as well as contributing, hands-on, as a developer.
The ideal Software Engineering Manager candidate will have experience:
- Managing and leading software engineers with a history of outstanding accomplishments, while contributing technically yourself, from architecture definition to product delivery.
- Fostering technical skill development and professional growth of team members using coaching and hands-on learning
- Collaborating on a cross-functional team to execute against our product road map
- Building robust and scalable software, contribute to architecture discussions, participate in brainstorming sessions, work with the product and design teams to understand end-user requirements, and deliver results
- Coordinating issue trouble-shooting in our 24x7 production environment
- 3+ years’ experience managing, coaching, and mentoring software engineers
- 6+ years’ experience doing back-end development with Java
- Have experience working with relational databases, SQL query optimization and tuning (MySQL preferred)
- Mastery of object-oriented design, data structures and multi-threaded algorithms
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field
- Strong leadership and presentation skills
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and strong analytical / problem solving skills
- Desire to work in a collaborative, team-based environment built around Scrum
- Experience building and deploying mobile apps in a modern app development framework (i.e. Ionic, Flutter, or React Native)
- Had exposure with online marketing, search engine optimization, and/or lead generation
- Help make education accessible to people who need it
- Enjoy a fun, casual and collaborative working environment
- Join a profitable and financially stable company
- Help guide company decisions and direction
- See results of your work in days, not years
- Have your work impact 30+ million students and teachers each month
- Work with other talented and passionate team members
- Competitive compensation
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer matching
- 20 days of flexible paid time off annually (increases to 30 days over 5 years)
- Additional 10 paid holidays annually
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans
- Fully subsidized Caltrain pass
- Tuition reimbursement and gift matching programs
- Stocked kitchen and beverages provided
- Company sponsored gym memberships
- Happy hours and company events to celebrate accomplishments
Study.com provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran or disability status. In addition to federal law requirements, Study.com complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. Additionally, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for the position in accordance with applicable state and local laws.