Palomar is looking for a strong technical leader with hands-on experience designing and testing avionic systems. This is a rare opportunity to join Palomarâ€™s engineering management team and participate in the development of its Secure Intercommunication Systems providing management, technical leadership and staff development for the Hardware and Test Engineering teams. This position is a technical manager role and provides the opportunity to use your experience with DO-254 on new and on-going projects.
This position manages the Hardware and Test Engineering staff, provides resources to projects and technical guidance in order to meet all objectives and requirements associated with a project, ensuring that all required artifacts are produced with high quality and meet the objectives associated with the development of a complex avionic system. The Hardware / Test Engineer Manager will provide leadership and supervision of these two groups driving a culture of high performance and quality throughout the product life cycle development. Additionally, the Hardware / Test Engineering manager will be involved with the proposal team to support new business and proposals, support R&D and new design concept to adapt our product to the demands of the marketplace.
Essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the hardware design, development, test and integration of Palomarâ€™s circuit card assemblies used in its Secure Inter Communication System.
- Responsible for Hardware and Test engineering staffing , coordinates and prioritizes staff assignments, identifies and manages training needs, mentors engineers, establish/ maintain staff career development planning with HR, contributes to expense and capital budget forecast roll-up activities, and then manages activities within budget constraints.
- Provides technical guidance and technical leadership for the Hardware / Test engineering staff for the design, development, integration, verification and validation of the implementation to meet the objectives of DO-254.
- Drives certification activities in partnership with regulatory and certification subject matter experts.
- Continuously research new technology for potential application to company products, as well as tools and techniques for hardware design, analysis, and simulation. Contribute to the development and maintenance of the companyâ€™s core technology roadmaps
- Defines, develops, deploys, maintains, and improves the companyâ€™s Hardware / Test Engineering functional processes within the companyâ€™s enterprise process framework, within the product development process, and more specifically integrated with the other engineering functional processes.
- Provides Test Engineering functional process training to staff, driving the use of automated test methodologies to reduce costs associated with the recurring nature of testing. Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within the Test Engineering field. Relies on established procedures and work instructions to guide Test Engineering activities.
- Works with the manufacturing / operation group for design-to-cost, design-for-testability, and design-for-manufacturability by reviewing product designs and ensuring product successfully transition from engineering development to manufacturing.
- Qualify external contracting resources for application to programs to satisfy peak resource requirements.
- Coordinates and manages Hardware / Test engineering activities that are performed by outside companies, including requirements, planning, definition of the scope of work, and reviewing / verifying that outside development activity complies to company requirements and agreed statement of work.
- Working knowledge of electrical engineering design principles, with strong experience in digital, analog, and mixed signal circuits. Familiar with RF/analog and power supply design.
- Knowledge of mechanical engineering design process, tools, and techniques specifically related to card designs, unit or subsystem design, and enclosures/ packaging.
- Knowledge of full development lifecycle of FPGA-based designs, including tools supporting the development of algorithms, design capture, simulation, synthesis / place, and route.
- Familiar with software design languages such as C (preferred), as well as hardware design languages such as VHDL and Verilog as well as tools that support programming, simulation, and debugging activities.
- Knowledge of low level software and firmware technology in the areas of board support packages, interface device drivers, and networking protocols.
- Familiar with the specific design and implementation of circuits involving processors, controllers, DSPs, FPGAs and CPLDs as well as associated memories, peripherals, and interfaces. Of particular interest are LAN based interfaces using Ethernet and T1.
- Familiar with JTAG and associated tools and techniques, as well as Built-In Test implementations.
- Knowledge of systems engineering design principles, with strong experience in performing independent verification and validation testing of high-level and low-level hardware and software design elements through detailed system testing and in-depth analysis â€“ to ensure that requirements at all levels are met.
- Familiarity with and previous experience with Reliability, Availability and Maintainability to support logistic engineering function delivering Reliability Block Diagrams, Fault Tree Analysis, Failure Mode Effects and Criticality Analysis, Reliability analysis (MTBF, MTBR), maintainability and logistics analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire and motivate team members to perform high quality work, to promote teamwork and cooperative efforts working with the program team as well as other engineering management and staff.
- Demonstrated leadership, including the ability to define and estimate new projects supporting the Sales & Marketing organization as well as the ability to decompose the needed activities and communicate the associated assignments to Hardware / Test engineering staff.
- Motivated self-starter with excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with customers from an appropriate technology perspective. Able to provide strong contributions to technical proposal efforts, by generating written technical descriptions and performing cost and schedule estimation.
- Knowledge of EMC/EMI and environmental testing to industry and defense standards. Ability to use this knowledge to support proposal activities as well as plan the work to be performed to comply with the technical specifications of the project.
- Familiar with environmental stress screening and testing that includes shock, vibration, and thermal cycling of cards and unit level products.
- Experience with aerospace & defense industry standard interfaces, including bus protocols and networks.
Education / Experience
- Requires a BS degree (MS degree preferred) in Electrical Engineering with 10 years of relevant product design experience in Hardware and Test engineering with knowledge of industry standard best practices.
- Requires at least 3 years in Engineering Management or equivalent Leadership role.
- Excellent analytical & critical thinking skills and problem solving abilities which are essential to support timely decision making.
- Knowledge of aerospace & defense configuration management process and document control process, including generation and maintenance of source control drawings, indentured drawings lists, and drafting techniques.
- Knowledge of systems engineering aspects related to Hardware / Test Engineering, such as the ability to transform system level requirements into unit and then into card level requirements. This may also include system and unit level design partitioning and design trade-off analysis.
- Knowledge of requirements management and traceability from design elements to testing, and from applicable tests to design elements.
- Knowledge with ISO 9000, AS9100, DO-254, MIL-STDs, and other applicable standards.
*To comply with U.S. export laws and regulations, Palomar Products Inc. operations in the U.S. may only employ "U.S. Persons" as defined by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
**Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action (AAP) Employer
Palomar Products is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, medical condition, national origin, marital status, disability, pregnancy or parental status, childbirth, genetic information, or military and veteran status. Request an Accommodation. Read further information regarding Affirmative Action narrative availability.
Palomar Products participates in E-Verify: Details in English and Spanish. Right to Work Statement in English and Spanish. EEO is the law. Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Powered by JazzHR