Be on the forefront of a new ground-breaking technology: Cota wireless power. Spearheaded by a team of highly experienced business leaders and specialized engineers, Ossia offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to build one of the most anticipated technologies of our time. Countless devices across the globe will one day use our safe and smart solutions. You will feel great about creating new and clean technology that helps people stay always on and always connected. Our employees are the key to our success and we are fortunate to have found some of the best and the brightest. There isn’t a more inspiring team to work with and no better time than now!
As Engineering Manager at Ossia, you will be responsible for providing technical leadership in all areas related to RF and antenna design and development. The position requires proven experience, strong communication and organization skills, and the ability to provide innovative solutions to complex technical problems. We are looking for candidates who thrive in a fast-paced start-up like environment. The successful candidate will be highly motivated and detail-oriented while maintaining the highest standards of responsibility and collaboration with colleagues. Although this is not a 100% managerial role, the ability to provide technical guidance and act as a mentor for other less experienced engineers is an important responsibility for this position.
This hands-on role requires demonstrated achievements in RF hardware design, including requirements definition and RF circuits and systems operating in the 2GHz and higher range. The position also requires solid practical experience in antenna theory, design, and antenna test systems.
- Gather requirements, develop architecture, and lead development of RF system-level-design and architecture.
- Work with cross-functional engineering teams on HW/ME/SW enabling technologies.
- Coordinate design activities internally for the subsystems under team’s responsibility from specification through test and delivery.
- Develop overall block diagrams, interfaces among main modules, and PCB floor plan, considering performance and regulatory compliance requirements.
- Circuit-board-level design of a variety of RF circuits and systems operating over the range of 2GHz and up to 60GHz.
- Participate in design reviews and provide feedback where areas of improvements are needed.
- Create technical documentation including schematics, specifications, test procedures, bill of material (BOM), and PCB design documents.
- Work closely with key suppliers and create custom RF IC specifications with validation test plans.
- Contribute to the technology roadmap and the creation of new features to enhance system performance.
- This is a hands-on role where at least 50% of the time will be spent as a technical contributor and/or in a lab environment.
- Extensive latitude in judgement and decision making.
- Mentoring and providing technical guidance to other team members is an essential role and responsibility.
- Hiring, developing and retaining engineering talent. Performance management, goal setting and compensation planning of team members.
Minimum Requirements, Qualifications, Experience, and Technical Skills:
- At least 15 years of relevant experience, including RF system-level design. This should include at least 5 years’ experience in leading/managing engineering teams of 10 or more in a product-development environment.
- Expert-level knowledge of RF product development, system architecture, design for low cost, design for manufacturability and high reliability. Has designed RF transmitters and/or receivers with commonly used components in the >2GHz frequency band (e.g. amplifiers, filters, VCO’s, etc.).
- Understanding of both theoretical and practical limitations of RF design principles.
- Ability to create and use modeling tools such as MATLAB, SPICE is beneficial. Experience with Altium schematic capture tool, and other relevant CAD tools is a plus.
- Expert-level familiarity with the use of common test equipment in the evaluation of RF circuits and systems (e.g. spectrum analyzers, signal generators, and vector network analyzers).
- Experienced in the design of printed circuit boards (PCBs) and has an understanding of good RF design best practices to minimize RF losses and maximize RF isolation. RF transmission line (both microstrip and strip line) design experience.
- Knowledge in antenna design principles and tradeoffs. Experience in working with antenna arrays is highly desirable but not a requirement.
- Proven track record of taking one or more new products (ideally consumer electronics products) from initial concept to prototype to full-scale production. Knowledge of the new product development process and best practices to create a quality design while working within schedule and cost constraints.
- Excellent communication skills and effective collaboration with cross-functional teams.
- Must have hands-on experience in prototype bring-up and debugging, functional verification, and manufacturing support.
- Experience in a customer-facing role, with an ability to communicate clearly and present yourself in a professional and organized manner.
- Minimum education: B.S.E.E. from an accredited university. Advanced degree is a plus.