NAL is seeking an experienced Project Manager for a full time position within our Engineering organization. This individual is responsible for ensuring that project milestones are identified, tracked and completed throughout the life of the project. This individual is responsible for ensuring that project tasks are properly linked and sequenced to identify risks so that mitigation actions are implemented early. This individual is responsible for ensuring that opportunities for cost and schedule improvements are realized to the benefit of the project and company. This individual will work in close coordination with the Vice President of Engineering to achieve delivery and completion commitments to customers, and will prepare and present project status information to members of Executive Management. The Engineering Project Manager will additionally support tasks from other departments that support enterprise initiatives as workload allows.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Project Initiation and Scope Definition:
- Works with Business Development and VP of Engineering to evaluate and develop proposed schedule and work scope per the customer specifications.
- Works with Business Development to establish relationships with customer representatives at the initiation of a project. Works with customer representatives to define the project contractual requirements and desired project schedule.
- Review and provide feedback to customer representatives of documents regarding project scope and schedule. Work with VP of Engineering to identify project scope and schedule that fits within Engineering resource availability.
- Works with Engineering to establish relationships with subcontractor representatives at the initiation of a project. Works with subcontractor representatives to define the project contractual requirements and desired project schedule.
Project Objective and Milestone Definition:
- Supports development of the project Statement of Work based on requirement mapping and identification.
- Develops Work Breakdown Structure for the project to ensure that all tasks are identified and scheduled and all project deliverables are scheduled. In concert with Engineering Management, will develop and allocate tasks to Engineering Department personnel.
- Ensures that task start, completion criteria, required resources and precedent tasks are known and planned for company and customer milestones.
- Review project labor and material expenditures to insure project is operating within cost and schedule targets. Work with VP of Engineering to adjust labor loading and tasking to meet project cost and schedule targets.
- Work with the Engineering team to insure purchased hardware and services are ordered in time to meet schedules and deliverables. Work with purchasing to insure hardware and services are delivered on schedule.
- Review project status regularly for early identification of cost and schedule risks. Support early development of mitigation tasks and assignment to the appropriate project team member.
- Review project status regularly for early identification of cost and schedule opportunities. Support and recommend early actions to realize improvements in cost and schedule when they become known.
- With the Vice President of Engineering, establishes standard formatting for status reporting and SPI / CPI and other Earned Value metrics as required.
- Ensure project reporting is assembled, reviewed and submitted in accordance with contract requirements and deadlines.
- Completes other assignments that are issued by President and/or VP of Engineering.
Process Development, Documentation and Integration:
- Support department management to develop a process development plan leading toward ERP and formal Quality Management System (QMS) implementation.
- Ensure processes are drafted, documented, reviewed and approved for implementation with process owner assignments established. Support creation of process flow template to maintain consistency throughout all departments.
Product Life Cycle Process Management:
- Ensure that all documentation, drawings and departmental approvals are administered during the transition from prototype (Engineering) to production (Operations) status. Completed Bills of Materials, product manuals, product brochures are to be completed prior to production launch.
- Ensure that all product End of Life (EOL) events are identified with critical actions assigned and scheduled. Ensure that EOL announcements are communicated expeditiously to customers.
Required / Desired Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor degree;
- 5 – 8 years Project Management experience using Microsoft Project software;
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification is desired, but not required.
- 3-5 years of experience of production planning and procurement within a research or electronics manufacturing environment. Prior experience of production planning with an ERP system is desired. Prior experience transitioning or standing up an ERP system is strongly preferred.
- 3-5 years of Customer Relationship Management and/or direct customer support;
- Knowledge of Change Management Process
- General understanding of business organizational structure and functions within a government contracting environment;
- Direct experience working with customers daily to promote positive relationships at all times;
- Solid understanding of project planning, lead times, task scheduling and completion criteria;
- Solid understanding of cost, profitability and cash flow that supports healthy financial environment;
- Strong interpersonal communication skills (verbal and written);
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Strong organizational skills in an agile, customer-focused environment;
- History of performing tasks to completion;
- Results-driven personality, with ability to multi-task and prioritize work on a daily basis.
- Due to the nature of the work and the environment in which it is performed, all applicants must be U.S citizens and have the ability to obtain a U.S. security clearance.
- On occasion it may be necessary to work beyond standard business hours to complete required tasks. It should be understood that overtime may be required in support of this salaried position;
- Maintains a positive attitude and team environment with other employees at all times.
NAL Research Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NAL Research Corporation offers a generous employee benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, disability, and a 401(k).