This position will work as a member of Tesla’s Vehicle Test Group to support full vehicle and sub-system Crash Safety tests performed primarily in-house. This role is responsible for conducting testing according to written and oral test direction and/or published test procedures, and preparing and maintaining vehicles and crash test dummies for testing. The successful candidate for this position must have a broad background in automotive safety testing.
- Work in a team-based environment to conduct vehicle-level crash tests according to written and oral requests and procedures, at a high level of quality and repeatability.
- Document test setup details and incidents found during testing, report test results.
- Installation of ATDs (crash test dummies) per FMVSS, ECE, and IIHS test procedures
- Maintenance, assembly, instrumentation, and calibration of ATDs
- Installation/removal of test instrumentation, test fixtures, and lab equipment as requested in the test request
- Operate, maintain, and calibrate test equipment, support test equipment repair and improvement projects
- Perform pre- and post-test measurements using a FARO arm
- Prepare the test vehicle for pre-test engineering sign off and post-test engineering design review. Rebuild the test vehicle for subsequent crash tests as needed.
- Organize, label, and store test samples and components
- Operate and maintain a safe working environment for all employees at all times
- Experience working on, positioning, and calibrating ATDs
- Experience in automotive safety testing in accordance with FMVSS, ECE, IIHS, and/or NCAP procedures.
- Experience working with Data Acquisition Systems and instrumenting vehicles with accelerometers, pressure sensors, potentiometers, load cells, etc. Experience with DTS DAS system hardware and software preferred.
- Ability to operate a wide variety of hand and power tools and shop equipment, for servicing vehicles and lab equipment. Fabrication and/or machine shop skills preferred
- Ability to maintain an organized and clean laboratory work environment. Adhere to and enforce 5S standards.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Effectively handle multiple priorities, organize workload, and meet deadlines
- Maintain top level professional integrity and appearance as a test technician
- An Associate Degree in Engineering or Automotive Technology from an accredited institution or Automotive OEM Test Technician Training and/or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in vehicle crash testing or vehicle safety role
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally (up to 10% travel).
- Must have valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Must be able to work assigned hours as required to meet testing needs. May include overtime, nights, and weekends.