Energy & Industrial Group
Sargent & Lundy’s clients in the energy and industrial markets recognize us as a global leader in coal and gas power generation, plant design, advanced technologies, environmental compliance, mid-stream and downstream oil & gas and multi-disciplined industrial projects.
We provide comprehensive engineering, design, analysis, and consulting for energy and industrial markets worldwide. Sargent & Lundy’s professional and highly experienced staff has the ability and know-how to take on the smallest of tasks to scope-intensive, complex projects. If you are interested in this type of dynamic work, consider joining the Sargent & Lundy team.
Our Energy & Industrial Group currently has a new opportunity for an Associate Electrical Engineer in our headquarters in Chicago, IL.
- This position will offer you the opportunity to utilize and expand your academic background in Electrical Engineering on projects that range from environmental upgrades on existing projects to new generation installations
- Under the direction of the project lead, this position will offer you the opportunity to work in a project team environment with other engineers and designers involved in the design, modification, and analysis of new and existing power plant electrical systems
- You will be involved in power distribution designs and the preparation of specifications for the procurement of major electrical power equipment and related installation services needed to support the mechanical systems for the environmental upgrades as well as new generation
- Support the project lead in coordinating systems design activities to ensure installation and operations will comply with specifications, codes, and client requirements
- Prepare and review detailed calculations, including three phase power transient studies, voltage drop, and protective relay settings
- Interface with vendors to prepare materials and equipment purchase specifications for client recommendations
- Develop your career via peer-learning by way of S&L’s systems of process and associated “Communities of Practice”
- There is the potential for you to travel to client and vendor offices for design reviews and to plant site locations for construction coordination and field verification of designs
We do not sponsor employees for work authorization in the U.S. for this position.
Essential skills and experience:
- A BSEE from an ABET-accredited program is required and an emphasis in power systems preferred.
- Familiarity with electrical system design including medium and low voltage distribution systems (transformers, generators, motors), and equipment selection
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in the production of technical plans, drawings, and models
- Proficiency with MS Office applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- Successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam, and designation as an Engineer in Training
- Experience in the design of electrical engineering systems in a project team environment, with a focus on integrated, detailed system design for new plants, or modifications or replacements for existing plants; experience ideally will include the selection of equipment, materials, control philosophy, and the preparation and assembling of calculations and specifications
Sargent & Lundy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any protected status as defined by law.