The Future Power Plants group is responsible for driving technology development and determining notional designs for mechanical and electrical systems for a new submarine. This position will provide an opportunity for the successful candidate to contribute significantly to the technical approach and delivery strategy for the I&C and integrated electrical power systems for a future submarine.
The Electrical Engineer in Future Plant Projects will use their technical skills and leadership to ensure high quality work and technically excellent solutions to the technology challenges of a future submarine. The engineer will be responsible for technology and concept development in Instrumentation and Control and power systems integration in support of a future propulsion plant. The successful candidate will work with stakeholder organizations both inside and outside of NNL to plan and coordinate the long term development of workable concepts for reactor, propulsion, and electric Plant I&C systems and power system integration. The successful candidate will contribute their specific design and operations knowledge in the areas of instrumentation and control systems, integrated power systems, power electronics, and shipboard information systems to the overall technology development efforts of the group.
The successful candidate will work independently and as part of a larger team to develop technology concepts, cost estimates and schedules, develop risk mitigation strategies, and recommend course corrections based on their knowledge and experience
- BS degree in engineering or Bachelor's degree in a science related field from an accredited college or university required.
- BS degree in engineering or Bachelor's degree in a science related field from an accredited college or university and a minimum of two years of relevant experience; or
- MS degree in engineering or Master's degree in a science related field from an accredited college or university and a minimum of one year of relevant experience; or
- Currently or previously EOOW qualified in the Nuclear Operations Program; or
- SRE Qualification
Job Preferred Skills
- BS Degree or higher in Electrical Engineering
- Experience with design or operation of instrumentation and control systems for power plant or shipboard applications.
- Experience with embedded control systems
- Specific coursework and/or work experience in one of the following areas:
- Control systems
- Power electronics
- Hardware/software development
- Microprocessor based equipment