The position will hold the title of Account Manager and will be responsible for handling all customer call-ins and various current house accounts. The Account Manager will be the first individual in line to take sales calls, unless a specific salesperson is requested, and assist with other staff member’s accounts when those staff members are out of the office.
The individual will be responsible for beginning-to-end management of certain projects, especially those involving complex situations such as sorting a variety of wastes, coordinating several field personnel and subcontractors, or researching the pros and cons of various disposal options.
The position involves a lot of interpersonal interaction. On a daily basis, you will call or e-mail with various members of the sales force, the operations supervisors, field employees, clients, and waste disposal sites. Ability to handle and prioritize a variety of tasks is a must. Keeping track of the stage of each project, responding to customers and team members in a timely manner, and following up to make sure everything is completed properly are key attributes. A basic understanding of on-site operations is needed to ask appropriate questions for quotes, handle potential issues, and ensure jobs run smoothly.
The Account Manager will develop their own customer base and be responsible for periodically checking in with current house accounts. This individual should be the principal expert on customers and jobs they deal with.
- Tracks of the status and requirements of several different on-going jobs over the course of weeks or months
- Works independently to complete client requests, but understand when to communicate with supervisors. Make decisions to ensure the job is completed efficiently and safely. Calmly deal with unexpected occurrences or variances. Use creativity to solve problems and deal with challenges.
- Takes call in requests for service and attempts to sell work
- Prepares quotes for customers on transportation, disposal, and field services
- Completes waste profiles and ensures approval of waste streams
- Assists dispatchers with requests for transportation rates
- Prepares work orders or job requirement sheets for their projects
- Organizes billing on larger house account projects to ensure they are charged appropriately
- Determines time and resources required for jobs and request to schedule them with dispatch
- Strong affinity for science. Must be able to identify and categorize chemicals based on their chemical nature in order to determine proper disposal methods. Sources for chemical categorization include field testing and observations, laboratory analysis, labels, and Material Safety data sheets.
- Contacts subcontractors to help complete work when in house resources are limited
- Prepares reports as requested by customers by collecting relevant paperwork
- Contributes to team effort by taking a pro-active role in solving problems and personally ensuring company tasks and operations are accomplished smoothly.
The ideal candidate will possess a strong knowledge of waste streams, disposal options, and DOT/RCRA regulations. They will possess exceptional organizational and communication skills and be able to work in fast paced work environment where priorities and workloads are constantly in flux. The individual will be prompt and responsive.
They should have a systematic thought process and be able to work through the diverse details that accompany projects in this industry. They should develop an ability to visualize what the customer is requesting and the potential problems that might occur onsite in order to ask the correct questions without visiting the job sites. Previous outside sales or project management experience in the waste management, health and safety, or construction industry would be a plus but is not required.