Contribute. Grow. Lead...with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people.
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. OxyChem's market position is among the top three producers in the United States in 2020 for the principal products it manufactures and markets. Based in Dallas, Texas, the company has manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Canada and Latin America.
In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Environmental Engineer within our Battleground Plant located in La Porte, TX.
Essential Job Duties:
- Maintain protection of the environment and the health and safety of our employees, customers, and the communities in which we operate and/or transport our products, as our highest priority.Develop and implement programs to comply with federal, state and local environmental regulations, permit requirements, internal policies and standards.
- Prepare internal and Agency required reports associated with environmental performance (e.g., spills, emissions, discharges, etc.).
- Assist facilities with inspecting, monitoring, sampling and testing programs and activities as needed to demonstrate compliance with regulatory requirements and permit limitations.
- Participate in audits and other regulatory compliance assurance activities.
- Assess impact of newly issued or revised regulations and recommend procedure modifications as appropriate.
- Review environmental impacts of capital construction projects.
- Provide oversight on engineering projects to satisfy environmental, health and safety objectives.
- Prepare environmental permit applications and negotiate permit conditions with regulators.
- Schedule and track waste shipments.
- Bachelor’s degree (Chemical, Environmental, Civil, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, Environmental Science).
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience in a chemical manufacturing environment preferred, with a primary emphasis on air programs.
- Working knowledge of environmental laws and regulations.
- High proficiency in Microsoft applications (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, and Outlook).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to read, write and speak in English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays and respond to callouts on a non-routine basis.
- Physical requirements – Must be able to lift 40 lbs, climb ladders and stairs. Walking, bending, stooping is required. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment including the use of a respirator. Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms.
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Good working knowledge of SAP.
- Good working knowledge of web-based Agency reporting sites such as STEERS, NetDMR, TRIMEweb, and Tier2 Submit.