At AES, we raise the quality of life around the world by changing the way energy works. Everyone makes an impact every day in our small, global teams. Apply here to start an extraordinary career today.
AES Distributed Energy is currently seeking a Senior Project Manager to oversee utility-scale photovoltaic solar and energy storage projects through development, construction, commissioning and turnover to Operations. The successful candidate will assist in due diligence on potential project acquisitions, lead construction planning activities, define EPC scopes of work for projects nearing construction, and act as an Owner’s Project Manager to plan and oversee progress of active construction projects. This position will initially be based in south central Pennsylvania, eventually require relocation to future on-site project locations, and report to the Director of Construction in Louisville, CO. The role requires the ability to manage utility scale projects and portfolios, to be based on-location at project sites, and to travel to new locations as projects are completed and new projects are assigned.
- Define and document RFPs and scope of work packages for 3rd party EPC firms. Participate in EPC selection and contract negotiation.
- Conduct due diligence on potential solar sites, evaluate the suitability of identified sites and participate in due diligence review, analysis of various reports (i.e. environmental, geo-tech, etc.).
- Act as the Owner’s Representative for Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) Contract Management on utility-scale PV solar and energy storage projects in the US.
- Review and manage EPC Contractor schedules, budgets, scope, subcontractors, EHS plans, and permit compliance
- Manage and coordinate utility interconnection processes for construction projects and related documentation needed for project interconnection and testing
- Manage engagements with project stakeholders and act as a representative of the company for interactions with landowners, local governmental agencies, customers, contractors, equipment and materials suppliers, and other stakeholders.
- Support permitting and jurisdictional approval processes as needed for project construction.
- Coordinate with EPC contractors and equipment vendors to ensure adherence to and compliance with contract terms and delivery of contractual deliverables in accordance with the project budget and schedule.
- Manage and coordinate activities of internal team of project engineering, commissioning, procurement, asset management, legal, finance, and accounting staff as well as deliverables of EPC Contractor, project stakeholders, and regulatory and permitting authorities.
- Ensure project quality control and safe construction practices by conducting on-site inspections as needed, coordinating with 3rd party firms if necessary.
- Lead project status update meetings with AES management, energy off-takers, utilities, EPCs, and finance counterparties, facilitating discussions with a detailed project plan and high-level status dashboard.
- Manage the collection, organization and filing of all project documentation, both internally and for external third-party stakeholders and project financing needs
- Lead the coordination of project turnover exercises from Construction to the Asset Operations team for assigned projects.
- Assist with the development of internal operating policies, standards and procedures.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Undergraduate Degree in engineering, project management, construction management, or equivalent.
- At least 7-10 years professional experience in a project management role for the construction of renewable energy projects is required.
- Require familiarity with photovoltaic solar design and technical standards as well as civil and structural technical knowledge.
- Experience in utility scale PV solar project construction required, experience in energy storage preferred
- Project Management Institute PMP certification preferred.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Excel, CPM scheduling, and Microsoft Project or Primavera P6.
- Superior communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal.
- Superior stakeholder management skills required
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including an ability to maintain calm and effective exchanges by all parties during stressful situations.
- Familiarity with the content of PVSYST and System Advisor Model (SAM) production reports preferred
- Familiarity with NEC Section 690 and NFPA 1 preferred
- Excellent organizational skills demonstrated by clear and effective project plans and executive level reporting that ensure timely action and decision making in time-pressured scenarios.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint as well as Adobe Acrobat.
- Willingness and ability to work on-site at assigned projects and travel to various project locations based on assignment required.
- NABCEP PV Installer Certification preferred
- Spanish language skills a plus.
AES is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to building strength and delivering long-term sustainability through diversity and inclusion. Respecting all backgrounds, differences and perspectives enables us to improve the lives of our people, customers, suppliers, contractors, and the communities in which we live and work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and/or expression, race, national origin, ethnicity, age, religion, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. E-Verify Notice: AES will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.