Title: Equipment Tech
Location: Crescent City, CA
Union: IBEW 89/49
Internal Posting: 8/16/19 to 8/23/19
The primary job responsibilities of the Equipment Technician are to read and interpret service orders, cable cut sheets, circuit diagrams and electrical schematics in order to troubleshoot, test, adjust and maintain electromechanical, analog, and/or digital central/remote offices, toll equipment, power plant generator/batteries, fuse alarms, radio communication equipment, special services equipment and transistorized circuits in carrier equipment, including working at repeater locations outside the central office.
The Equipment Technician may be assigned one or more duties. These duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Operates local and toll test boards. Performs housekeeping duties in and around central office.
· Maintains office security.
· Performs cross connections, tests, locates, and corrects faults in equipment, distributing frames when required.
· May repair, install and maintain radio, carrier and MUX equipment requiring an FCC radio license.
· Analyzes switch printouts and determines problem areas.
· Maintains and updates reports/records.
· Sets up, reads and interprets test equipment, measuring devices and meters.
· Works independently with limited supervision. Decisions based on problem solving, technical knowledge, and capabilities of equipment.
· Follows all appropriate laws, Company policies and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactory. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The individual in this position must possess the following qualifications:
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to work effectively with a diverse range of individuals, teams, managers, supervisors, and external customers.
· Excellent ability to communicate and work cohesively across Department lines.
· Knowledge of:
o CO transmission concepts (i.e., DLC, MUX, ESA, OPM, SS7, DDS, D4)
o Service order interpretation and cut sheets
o DS1 - DSX wiring, testing, monitoring and patching
o DS3 provisioning, testing, and maintenance
o Power plant (i.e., generators, batteries, power boards, and rectifiers)
o GTD-5 and/or 5ESS switch troubleshooting and maintenance
o Alarms - transport systems and alarm system troubleshooting
o Fiber optic terminal provisioning and maintenance
o SIP services and MetroE service delivery
| Equipment Technician
· Knowledge/experience using specialized test equipment (T-Berd, OTDR).
· Knowledge of:
o Radio Frequency fundamentals
o Radio Frequency behaviors
o Radio Frequency spread spectrum technologies
o Wireless network trouble diagnostics
· Must have the ability to consistently deliver outstanding customer service to all internal and external
· Flexibility to work varied hours/days/holidays/weekends and overtime including callouts.
· Highly dependable and ability to meet internal deadlines consistently.
· Strong organization skills and attentiveness to detail.
· Flexible and adaptable, willing and able to adjust to rapidly changing priorities.
· Must have the ability to work independently as well as in groups.
· Ability to maintain a professional manner and appearance at all times.
The individual in this position must possess the following education requirements:
· High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
· State approved driver license for required vehicle(s).
· CCNA Certified desired.
· Certified Wireless Technology Specialist (CWTS) preferred.