Job Purpose: Respond to requests by the nursing staff or physician staff to assist with ALS interventions, and
emergency care within the emergency department according to protocols and polices approved by the
hospital and emergency department medical director, and hospital policy. Performs other duties related
to the provision of care as assigned after appropriate training.
Education & Training: High school graduate or equivalent.
Required Licenses/Certifications: Current EMT B, EMT-I, EMT-P registration in the state, Nursing
Student currently enrolled in an accredited program or M.A. certification. Current certification in BLS, ACLS & PALS are required. PALS must be obtained withing six months of hire.
Work Experience: Minimum of one year experience preferred as EMT or Medical Assistant.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Respond to request for emergency services from areas within the emergency department in a
timely and safe manner.
• Complete documentation and records according to department policy
• Ensure emergency preparedness equipment is ready for response
• Restock emergency department and report damaged, unsafe, or malfunctioning equipment
• Assist with code and critical care patients within the emergency department
• Performs all duties under the supervision of nursing with proper training and skills
• Assist nurse in assessing, prioritizing, and maintaining patient flow and assist in reassessing
patients waiting to be seen
• Confirms patient identity via use of two patient identifiers.
• Maintains confidentiality of all hospital and patient information as observed by peers and
management. Performs phlebotomy and lab specimen labeling according to policy on in patient and ER
• Attends all mandatory education programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to
• Attends all required department-specific education and training programs and can describe his/her
responsibilities related to department safety and specific job-related hazards
• Demonstrates proper body mechanics in all functions
• Wears proper identification while on duty
• Performs other duties as assigned