ESOL Program Coordinator and Instructor
Job Code: 1253
Department: English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
Division: Arts, Communications, and Humanities
Reports to: Dean of Arts, Communications and Humanities
Positions Supervised: N/A
Location: Main Campus
Kansas City Kansas Community College (KCKCC) is currently searching for a full-time faculty member to coordinate the ESOL program and provide high quality, learner-centered instruction for students enrolled in ESOL-related coursework at any KCKCC location while supporting the institution’s mission, vision, and strategic plan.
- Prepare course syllabi addressing targeted student learning outcomes and specific competencies, textbook requirements, grading/assessment methodology, course scheduling, and/or other items as outlined in ESOL curriculum
- Teach ESOL classes as assigned (up to 9 credit hours per semester)
- Use student-centered, communicative teaching strategies
- Provide regular, timely reports to students of academic performance including current grades in course(s) taught
- Hold regular office hours
- Manage curriculum and assessment for the ESOL program.
- Complete and/or oversee the intake, placement, advising, and enrollment of ESOL students
- Manage course schedules, textbook selections, and teaching assignments for ESOL courses
- Manage supports for ESOL students including ESOL Tutoring, ESOL Scholarship, and ESOL Graduation
- Collaborate with various programs and departments in the college to assist ESOL students as they complete the ESOL program and transition to other programs of study
- Provide support and guidance to ESOL adjunct instructors
- Advocate as needed for ESOL students within the college
- Attend required meetings and training sessions
- Ability and willingness to teach ESOL classes in multiple skill areas (i.e., reading, writing, listening/speaking, grammar, vocabulary) at multiple levels (from elementary to advanced)
- Other duties as assigned by appropriate administrator
Minimum Qualifications and/or Education
- Master’s degree in TESOL, Applied Linguistics, or closely related field
- Three (3) years’ experience teaching ESOL in higher education environments
- One (1) year experience in a leadership capacity in a higher education language program
Preferred Qualifications and/or Education
- Five (5) years’ experience teaching ESOL in higher education environments
- Two (2) years’ experience in a leadership capacity in a higher education language program
- Teaching experience in an open enrollment, urban community college
- Experience learning a second language and/or fluency in a second language
- Experience teaching ESL in an adult/higher education environment strongly
- Experience with a Learning Management System such as Blackboard
- Experience in learner-centered pedagogy
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, talk, hear, walk, sit, and occasionally push or lift items. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position will work 40 hours per week across five days. Must be able to work a variable schedule/hour to meet operational needs. May require evening and weekend hours.
Pay grade level: N/A
Compensation: Is commensurate with education outlined in the collective bargaining contract
Employee category: Faculty
Position Type: Full-Time Faculty- 212-Days
FLSA status: Exempt
- Read the job announcement carefully noting the minimum qualifications and required information. Note that information contained in your application materials will be used to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Make sure you complete/submit all the documents listed as required.
- During the application process, unofficial transcripts may be submitted. However, please note that upon selection for hire, you will be required to submit official transcripts.
- Ensure that your transcripts show that a degree was awarded or conferred if you are stating that it is your highest level of education completed. If you certify your level of education and it cannot be verified from your transcript(s), your application may not be referred to the selection committee.
- Foreign degrees are acceptable provided they have been translated and/or shown to have equivalency to a United States: Associate, Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate level degree.
- Documentation verifying completion of a degree, course work within a discipline, or other educational criteria should be electronically attached (uploaded) to your application.
- Three (3) professional references with phone number and email addresses are required.
- A college selection committee is responsible for application review and interviews. The final candidate(s) selected to be hired will be made by the hiring manager.
- Successful completion of a background check on all persons recommended for employment is required Individual hiring departments may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process.
***This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.