This position is responsible for the overall direction, completion, and financial outcome of construction projects up to $5 million in size.
- Perform accurate project revenue and cost financial forecasting to ensure corporate profitability goals are met.
- Coordinate with estimators and project controls group to establish budget.
- Create, execute and lead estimating efforts on civil projects to ensure accurate and consistent bid to build process; this will include Review of civil bid schedule, both private and public work
- Will look for new bid opportunities
- Coordinate efforts with estimators, large project sponsor, and manager of construction to manage resources to meet project schedule.
- Participate in bid review and bid closing to ensure accuracy of bid and evaluate project feasibility; work with estimating team to develop bid schedule.
- Coordinate with large project sponsor, manager of construction and project team to develop comprehensive plan for project start up and successful kick-off.
- Provide environment where dynamic project communication occurs between Project Engineers, Foremen, Superintendents and Construction Manager to ensure work is accomplished in an efficient, profitable, and safe manner.
- Ensure proper job controls, i.e. quantities, costs, revenue and schedule.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with owners, agencies, subcontractors, corporate management, inspectors, etc., providing customer service to develop long-term partnerships with client base.
- Ensure accurate construction reports for the job allowing for continuous improvement in performance.
- Run projects at profitability levels to meet or exceed expected margins.
- Comply, understand, and support corporate safety initiatives to ensure a safe work environment.
- Daily project oversite; will meet with team leaders on every project to discuss planning, sequencing, potential issues, safety, and job site risk
- Perform takeoffs/ estimates for both in-house and public work
- Project Management responsibility of all civil work estimated and awarded
- Meets with jobsite team leaders to develop strong crews.
- Conducts daily review of crew performance.
- Participates in recruitment and selection of defined field personnel.
- Responsible for scheduling work crew based on their skills and productivity.
- Conduct risk management assessments, creates action plan, and executes based on findings.
- Conducts cost analysis and tracking for the civil division with the cooperation of Accounting.
- Will conduct daily job costing/ tracking.
- Responsible for review of materials quotes and subsequently awards them; and, reviews and cost code invoices and receipts that are for civil work.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of construction paving, underground, concrete and grading practices.
- Knowledge and understanding of union agreements and prevailing wage issues.
- Maintain ability to work in high production environment.
- Demonstrated decision-making skills.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Excellent supervisory communication and organizational skills.
- Accuracy at all times.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE INCLUDE:
- BS degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Business Administration, or related field or equivalent work experience in heavy civil construction.
- Three (3) to five (5) years progressive project experience in heavy civil environments.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in paving, dirt, and grading in either private or public environments.
- Works in indoor office conditions; and
- Will work at construction sites, in seasonal climate and weather conditions; with exposure to construction noise, electrical energy, equipment, dust, and debris
- Occasionally drive a vehicle to different locations
- Works under pressure, in potentially stressful situations
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Regularly required to talk and hear
- Must be able to supervise work being done at jobsite, in person, at least 15% of the time a jobsite is active.
- Will regularly be required to walk over uneven or unpaved ground to reach a work site in construction zones
- May be required to perform a variety of construction tasks in all areas and aspects of the construction project—including scaffold or platform work, confined spaces and exposure to outside elements
- Must wear approved Personal Protective Equipment
- May be required to work schedules which may include shift work, such as; day shift, swing-shift, graveyard, holiday and/or weekend shifts
- Frequently is required to stand, walk, sit and use hands to operate a computer keyboard
- Occasionally required to reach with hands and arms
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- At times will be working around large construction equipment, must be safety conscience
This position is based in the Southern California Area with travel throughout Southern California – 25% travel.