Excellent opportunity for a up and coming professional estimator having experience with reading blueprints and working experience using PlanSwift! Great salary, benefits, and one heck of a team in Sacramento California!!!
Headquartered in Southern Oregon, F.D. Thomas, Inc. ("FDT") was founded in 1979 and is one of the nation's largest specialty services contractors. FDT performs commercial and industrial painting, waterproofing, roofing, infrastructure restoration and other specialty services. FDT has offices across the West Coast and provides expert service for major industrial facilities, commercial building owners, government agencies and entertainment/sports complexes. Since inception, the management and workforce of FDT have embraced the company's value equation of Great People Great Work = Extraordinary Company, in the process earning a reputation as a value-added service provider.
Position Location: Sacramento, CA
FDT is seeking an experienced junior Estimator with working experience on take-offs, PlanSwift, and ability to read blueprints, to review, estimate, propose and win bids profitably!
Under the direction of the Division Lead Estimator, the Estimator will assist project managers and be responsible to develop cost estimates for projects and services related to the industrial painting and specialty coating industry. Develop, produce, and maintain production units according to industry standard as directed. This position will establish rapport, credibility, trust, and respect throughout the organization at all levels and with external parties, and be viewed as a team player.
The successful candidate will be a professional, self-starter, high-performing individual who takes pride in performing top-quality work with a team-oriented, service mindset.
- Assists other Estimators with project proposals as requested
- Analyzes and evaluates project plans, specifications, scope, difficulty, and any other requirements necessary to prepare a job cost estimate and assemble bid packages
- Prepares conceptual estimates and/or budgets
- Prepares accurate quantity take-offs and unit pricing using established company production rates
- When quantity survey is complete; establishes profit & overhead for project if requested
- Uses the Request for Information (RFI) process when information is lacking (document appropriately)
- Inform Division Lead Estimator of any observed inaccuracies or omissions in plans and specifications
- Maintains the job file, all correspondence records and notes for the project being bid (log all bid documents)
- Reviews and analyzes all quotes to assure they meet the standards and specifications for the project
- Communicates with General Contractor's, owners, vendors, and trades
- Secures vendor pricing and select vendors and subcontractors by their cost effectiveness for each project
- Coordinates with vendors and subcontractors to completely cover scope in the most cost effective way
- Immediately responds to any vendor or subcontractor questions; resolve issues immediately and completely
- Gets written documentation on vendor and subcontractor quotes
- Proficient in project principals, policies, and procedures and apply them during course of work
- Participates in (and may lead) weekly planning meetings with estimating staff
- Assists other PMs with Buy-Outs on projects
- Assists Project Managers with purchasing and any change orders on projects estimated as requested
- Ensure Quality Assurance/Quality Checks are in place at all times
- Job close out and review
- 2 or more years of experience estimating industrial painting/specialty coating projects
- Professional education and/or experience in the construction and/or relevant industries
- Thorough understanding of estimating and/or construction management
- Significant level of overall experience in the design/construction field, specifically industrial and commercial construction
- Strong working knowledge of Take Off Estimating Software (Planswift)
- Natural ability to collaborate well with others within your team and across the organization at large
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, exceptional attention to detail
- Outstanding work ethic, ability to perform under pressure, meet deadlines, ability to prioritize and deliver multiple tasks on time
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft operating systems and software (i.e. Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.) with an ability to accurately learn new software quickly
- Demonstrated business acumen, problem solving skills, intellectual maturity, and relationship management skills
- Prefer 2 years' combined experience in industrial painting and estimating
- Degree and/or certifications in related field such as construction management
- OSHA knowledge and/or certification
- Strong working knowledge Viewpoint (helpful)
- May travel occassionally to different job sites and/or perform job walks
FD Thomas, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Arctic Slope Regional Corporation (ASRC), an Alaska Native corporation. Through ASRC, we are a certified Minority Business Enterprise (MBE).
"FD Thomas, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer with an Affirmative Action Plan. Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply."