Cleans, sanitizes, disinfects, and services patient rooms, clinical treatment areas, and other areas of the building according to established procedures. Moves furniture, equipment, and supplies to, from, and within assigned areas. Maintains floors (burnishing, stripping, and waxing) and carpets (vacuuming, spot cleaning, and shampooing) as assigned. Performs a variety of other environmental services duties to maintain the hospital in a neat, orderly, and sanitary condition. Provides excellent customer service. Takes charge of department, including answering pages, when Director of EVS and EVS Supervisor is not present. This is a part-time position 6:00am-11am approximately 20hrs per week.
Reports to: Director of EVS and EVS Supervisor
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Demonstrated ability to repeatedly and consistently achieve the highest departmental standards for cleanliness, service excellence, and attendance.
2. Demonstrated ability to perform all departmental cleaning processes according to established policy and complete all responsibilities without direct supervision. Includes ability to process linen and operate floor care machinery.
3. Performs daily cleaning of the patient rooms and patient care units to prevent the spread of infections and to ensure satisfaction of patients and guests. Follows the established 12-step process when cleaning patient rooms and performing terminal cleaning of patient rooms after discharge.
4. Cleans assigned offices, departments, meeting rooms, and public areas as required, including restrooms, floors, furniture, fixtures, doors and door frames, ceilings, medical equipment, televisions, windows and window sills, and other items found in assigned areas following approved processes and with appropriate cleaning equipment and cleaning agents.
5. Prepares cleaning solutions as needed according to established policy.
6. Empties trash and hazardous waste according to established policy.
7. Replenishes assigned areas with supplies of soap, paper towels, toilet paper, and other disposable items.
8. Replenishes linen carts, returns soiled linen, and delivers clean linen.
9. Maintains cleanliness of hospital grounds.
10. Moves furniture and equipment between rooms. Sets up furniture and equipment within rooms as needed.
11. Performs floor care and other “heavy” cleaning when assigned, including burnishing, stripping, and waxing floors, deep cleaning carpets, washing walls, and other assignments.
12. Completes special environmental services-related projects and other duties as assigned.
13. Attends internal meetings and in-services and participates in mandatory reviews of policies and procedures.
14. Completes required paperwork for quality assurance, plant work-orders, and intra-departmental communication.
15. Supports the Mission and Vision of RML Specialty Hospital by demonstrating RML’s Values of Service, Teamwork, and accountability, Integrity, Respect and Stewardship (STAIRS) in all actions. Promote a positive customer experience by exemplifying the principles of the Language of Caring in all interactions with patients, families and co-workers.
Skills & Abilities - Minimum
Ability to positively communicate and interact with patients, visitors, and other employees.
Ability to work independently, without direct supervision.
Physical ability necessary to frequently lift moderate to heavy weights of linen/trash, push carts that are loaded with supplies and/or linens, operate cleaning machinery, and move furniture using appropriate moving equipment.
Physical stamina to repeatedly perform tasks.
Ability to work off-shifts, including weekends and evenings.
Knowledge & Experience
One to two years environmental services experience.
Ability to operate all department machinery, including floor care equipment.
Ability to understand oral instructions.
Ability to read and understand written assignments, policies, memos, and SDS sheets.
Ability to write instructions on work orders and inter-shift and inter-departmental communications.
One to two years of health care environmental services experience, such as EVS Tech-1.
Regular exposure to dust, dirt, unpleasant odors, etc.
Regular handling of infectious, biological, and sharp unlcean materials.
Regular contact with strong cleaning and disinfecting solutions.
Occasionally works with heavy machinery, e.g., floor strippers.
Must have the ability to lift/push greater than 50 pounds.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this job.They are not exhaustive lists of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, and working conditions associated with it.