The Excel Center Northern Indiana is a high-quality, free, public high school for adult learners 18 and older. We provide coursework toward completing the required credits for students to earn an Indiana Core 40 diploma (not a TASC/GED/HSE program). Our students benefit from a structured learning environment with direct/ face-to-face instruction, an accelerated format, small classes and individualized attention that meets the unique needs of adult learners. All students are assigned a life coach providing academic and personal counseling to support students pursuing their goals. Our staff have a significant impact on the lives of students seeking a second chance to change their lives. The Excel Center also requires students to earn industry-recognized certificates and/or dual credit college courses. We are seeking a dynamic and innovative team to assist in this endeavor.
Teachers hold primary responsibility for the implementation and development of The Excel Center curriculum and the success of its students. We seek teachers who are committed to continuously improving curriculum and instruction through collaboration as part of a team. The Teacher will facilitate learning for students attending Excel Center, meeting students "where they are". He/she employs a student-centered approach effectively tailoring the instructional strategies to the individual student needs approaching instruction with grit, creativity, and innovation. Strategies may include but are not limited to direct instruction, one-on-one instruction, seminars, and self-paced lessons. Teachers employ high impact instructional practices and motivational techniques. The position will work with the instructional team in meeting the educational objectives and adhering to the Indiana State Standards.
- Bachelor degree in subject specialty required with a minimum of 2 years teaching experience post licensing, preferred.
- Current Indiana Teaching Certification in subject specialty, dual licensure preferred; mastery of and enthusiasm for academic subjects.
- Possess the essential mindset that all students can succeed.
- Drive to improve the outcomes and lives of students in and out of the classroom.
- Exhibit resilience to persevere and create opportunities for students out of challenges and lessons learned.
- Proven track record of student academic growth and achievement.
- Experience working with high school age students in urban, non-traditional, and/or in adult education setting highly preferred.
- Evidence of superior verbal and written communication skills; strong motivational skills.
- Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to be a team player; adaptable to shifting priorities.
- Has working knowledge of computer programs to perform clerical tasks: Microsoft Outlook, Google Applications, Excel, Word and web browsers.
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish, highly preferred.
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check.
- Implement curricula and activities to meet academic standards; build lessons around student needs including online learning tools and content.
- Design and implement assessments that measure progress towards academic standards; be accountable for student mastery of Indiana Academic State Standards.
- Track and analyze classroom data; use attendance and assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices to achieve learning goals.
- Focus constantly on student learning; think critically and strategically to respond to specific student learning needs across ability levels.
- Participate in collaborative curriculum development, grade-level activities, and school-wide functions aimed at improving student retention, productivity, school culture, and new student orientation.
- Communicate student progress effectively with students, colleagues; collaborate with staff to ensure student success.
- Work with coaches and leadership staff to support student progress towards graduation and post-secondary planning.
- Attend all team and professional development meetings, and special events including scheduled open houses, testing sessions, and orientations.
- Collaborate with colleagues and other teachers in The Excel Network to share best practices.