The Kapor Center is a family of three organizations: SMASH, Kapor Foundation, and Kapor Capital. Together, the Kapor Center aims to enhance diversity and inclusion in the technology and entrepreneurship ecosystem through increasing access to tech and STEM education programs, conducting research on access and opportunity in computing, investing in community organizations and gap-closing social ventures, building diverse and inclusive companies, and increasing access to capital among diverse entrepreneurs.
The Kapor Foundation is a 501c(3) operating non-profit organization, headquartered in Oakland, California. Its mission is to transform the technology ecosystem through increasing racial equity in computer science education, expanding the participation of people of color in the tech workforce, and strengthening community ecosystems. We utilize a variety of strategies, from conducting research and implementing programs, to grantmaking, and strategic partnerships.
Note: This is a temporary role through May 2021 with the possibility of converting to a full time position.
Reporting directly to the Chief of Staff and Learning for the Foundation, the Executive Assistant provides executive support in a one-on-one working relationship. The Executive Assistant serves as the primary point of contact for internal and external constituencies on all matters pertaining to the CEO. The Executive Assistant also serves as a liaison to the senior management team; organizes and coordinates executive outreach and external relations efforts.
The Executive Assistant must be proactive and enjoy working within a results-driven environment. The ideal candidate will have the ability to demonstrate quick, creative judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. The Executive Assistant will have the ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of projects and stakeholders.
Major areas of responsibility:
1. Administrative and logistical support to CEO
- Plans, coordinates and ensures the CEO's schedule is followed and respected. Provides "gatekeeper" role, creating strategic direct access to the CEO's time.
- Manages work calendar prioritizing conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Support logistics including:
- Zoom Calls
- Job candidate interviews
- After-hours events, as needed
- Travel (when needed)
- Maintains and responds to requests for materials regarding the CEO and the Kapor Center in general, including things like bio, headshot, and other admin information
- Communicates directly, and on behalf of the CEO to staff, and others, on matters related to CEO's programmatic initiatives.
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the CEO and internal departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with staff.
- Works closely and effectively with the CEO to keep her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, priorities, following up appropriately. Acts as a "barometer," having a sense for the issues taking place in the environment and keeping the CEO updated.
- Edits and completes first drafts for written communications to external stakeholders.
- Technical support including Powerpoints, talking points for a variety of issues.
2. Manager of Partnership Services for CEO
- Managing partnership communications
- Managing logistics of:
- Phone appointments
- Strategic Partnerships
- Onboarding for new staff/ training coordination
- Tracking inbound requests
- Client billing
3. Administrative and Logistical Support to the Leadership Team
- Assists the Leadership Team in scheduling meetings, coordinating agendas, and notetaking
- Assists in coordinating off-sites and all staff meetings
- Assists in logistics of Leadership team as needed
- Editing/proofreading documents
- Document organization (G- Drive folders)
- Tracking Leadership Team’s PTO
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff and external partners
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong time management and prioritization skills
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion and exercise integrity
- Adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of client service and response
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities to address challenges and proposes solutions
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Strong work tenure: 3-5 years of experience supporting organizational leaders
- Experience and interest in internal and external communications and partnership development
- Proficient in Google Suite, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat, and Social Media web platforms.
- Demonstrated experience working on behalf of marginalized communities
The Kapor Center provides competitive compensation commensurate with experience, and an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life/disability insurance, paid time off, 401k, volunteer time and flexible spending accounts (i.e. parking, transit, medical and dependent care). Our collaborative office is located in Oakland’s dynamic Uptown District.