At Kingmakers of Oakland, we fundamentally believe that all Black males are brilliant, beautiful, and possess innate greatness. Because our society and educational systems aren't set up to help Black boys reach their potential, it is our collective opportunity and responsibility to co-create the school environment every child deserves. The Kingmakers of Oakland approach proves that is it possible to rebuild the systems, structures, culture, and conditions of school so Black boys can thrive.
We are seeking an Executive Assistant to support our Co-Founder/Chief Executive Officer. Under general direction and minimal supervision, serve as confidential Executive Assistant, relieving the CEO of a wide variety of technical and administrative details. Performing various highly independent, difficult, and complex administrative and staff duties which support the CEO and the organization’s goals, programs and objectives. This position is based in Oakland, CA.
Administrative Support to the CEO
- Coordinate and manage the CEO’s calendar and communication with staff and external partners as needed.
- Ensure CEO is fully prepared for all meetings and engagements with updated presentations, information, background data, meeting agendas and minutes, accurate schedules, including a CEO’s priority brief for all meetings.
- Communicate with a wide range of external partners, such as funders, Board members, senior administrators, youth, families, media, and members of the community to resolve issues, coordinate activities and meetings, convey, gather, and/or exchange information.
- Assist in editing written communications, drafting multimedia presentations such as presentation slides and formal memos, independently compose, prepare, and assemble materials such as communication updates and summary reports to support CEO with internal and external communications.
- Manage time-sensitive tasks with the CEO such as acquiring signatures and approvals, coordinating meetings, meeting grant application and report deadlines, finalizing client contract paperwork and achieving deliverables, media requests, speaking engagements, and other time-sensitive responsibilities.
- Act as main point of contact for the organization, receiving visitors and telephone calls from the public, staff, parents, and students; exercise judgment in providing information, referring to an appropriate staff member, or scheduling an appointment with CEO or relevant staff. Screen electronic and paper mail and forward to relevant staff member as appropriate.
- Maintain a variety of manual and electronic documents, files and records (e.g. minutes, policies, calendar of appointments, official records, directives, etc…) for the purpose of providing up-to-date reference and for efficient and accurate follow up on action items.
- Arrange registration and travel arrangements for meetings, conferences, and conventions; support Events Team with logistical arrangements for large scale events as needed.
- Participate in and take minutes at department or leadership meetings as needed.
- Perform special projects and related duties as assigned.
- Mission alignment as it relates to engaging, encouraging and empowering youth of color and towards systemic change in education
- At least five (5) years experience supporting executive level administrators, nonprofit or educational environment a plus
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to successfully navigate within a young start-up nonprofit environment
- Effectively coordinate a variety of difficult, technical administrative functions at a level requiring extensive independent decision-making within established rules, policies, and procedures
- Communicate and articulate verbally and in writing at an exceptional level
- Respond to inquiries quickly, accurately, and with a professional tone
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all matters, particularly those pertaining to personnel and budget
- Execute advanced interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy
- Proofread and edit documents at a mastery level
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with all levels of staff, board members, outside agencies, youth, parents and the public
- Proficiency with common office software programs including Microsoft Office, GSuite, Zoom and video conferencing, and a variety of web-based platforms
- Demonstrate sensitivity to, and respect for, a diverse population
- Work independently with little direction
- Willingness to take responsibility for ensuring completion of work across diverse and collaborative teams
- Understand and work within scope of authority
- Complete work accurately despite many interruptions
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple simultaneous responsibilities
- Confidence in managing the schedule, capacity, and productivity of a busy, focused, and passionate CEO
- Values and can contribute to sustaining a workplace culture based on trust, collaboration, respect, and honesty
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with expertise and previous experience. Our benefits package is comprehensive. The successful candidate join a Black-led organization that has a team of passionate, fun, intelligent professionals who have demonstrated a commitment to engaging, encouraging, and empowering the next generation of leaders and changemakers.