Who We Are:
American Public Media Group
American Public Media Group (APMG) is the largest station-based public radio and media organization in the United States. APMG's Mission is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities.
APMG's primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
APMG's Vision and Values express its unrelenting commitment to serving its audiences today and for generations to come.
Vision: We will be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people.
Values: We focus on AUDIENCES.
We are LEADERS.
We are INCLUSIVE.
We act COURAGEOUSLY.
We build TRUST.
As the Executive Assistant, you report to the President & CEO of the American Public Media Group, which includes Minnesota Public Radio (MPR), American Public Media (APM), Southern California Public Radio (SCPR), and Clearspring Enterprises. The Executive Assistant serves as the primary point of contact for internal and external constituencies on all matters pertaining to the President & CEO. In addition, the Executive Assistant provides administrative and other support for the MPR|APM Board of Trustees and the APMG Board of Trustees
This position requires an advanced level of administrative support supporting a CEO, a high degree of confidentiality, exceptional critical thinking and problem-solving, superior communication skills and an ability to function efficiently, effectively and independently in a fast-paced, professional environment. The Executive Assistant must be able to manage multiple tasks and projects against competing priorities and deadlines. The position requires the ability to skillfully screen and prioritize activities, issues and communications from external and internal sources and exceptional organizational and administrative skills. The ideal candidate will be dynamic, high-energy and possess excellent judgment. Experience working in a nonprofit and familiarity with public media are a plus.
Please include a cover letter with your application.
Supporting the President & CEO
- Ensure the President & CEO is informed of any issues, internal or external, requiring their attention.
- Assist the President & CEO in managing their work schedule and multiple commitments.
- Ability to anticipate the President & CEO's needs and proactively bring together the appropriate people, resources and timing needed to support decision-making.
- Meeting scheduling to include prioritizing requests, providing necessary logistical and organizational and managing deadlines and awareness of time sensitivity. Develop and maintain a reminder system to track deadlines for events and activities.
- Work closely with the President & CEO to facilitate their interaction with direct reports and staff at all levels.
- Draft general correspondence and various communications (letters, emails, etc.) on behalf of the President & CEO.
- With input and assistance from Development staff, schedule meetings with individual donors, foundations and others, as needed. This is a particular priority for the duration of the Inspired by You capital campaign, expected to end in late 2020.
- Handle arrangements and all logistics for the President & CEO's travel, keeping in mind cost implications, convenience, CEO productivity and preferences.
- Ensure that various administrative tasks are handled efficiently including copying, reviewing external mail, drafting correspondence, screening phone calls (when requested) and maintaining electronic and paper files.
- Become familiar with organizational policies and procedures necessary to ensure protocols are followed and reflect well on the office of the President & CEO.
Supporting the MPR Board and APM Group Board of Trustees
- Serve as the President & CEO's primary liaison to the Board of Trustees and manage a broad range of Board activities which include coordinating Board meetings and dinners; Board staff lunches/receptions/new Board member orientations; arranging travel and hotel accommodations for out-of-town Board members; processing travel reimbursement requests; and drafting, organizing, assembling and distributing Board meeting materials.
- Assist with writing and preparation of board reports to ready them for distribution on BoardEffect, the board's electronic portal.
- Draft selected board and board committee meeting Minutes.
- Develop the fiscal year meeting schedule for board committee meetings.
- Maintain various Board-related reference documents and email lists.
- Serve as the Trustee liaison to handle requests and answer questions (e.g., securing tickets for shows and events, BoardEffect instruction and other tasks as needed).
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 10 years high level administrative experience, with at least 5 supporting a CEO
- Experience working with Board of Trustees to include Board governance experience.
- Highly proficient in all necessary office-related tools and software programs (Microsoft Office Suite), and aptitude for learning new technology used in this position (BoardEffect, Sales Force, etc.).
- Experience in administrative preparation of board presentations; strong understanding of Board governance.
- Demonstrated experience in meeting critical deadlines, and ensuring prepared materials are accurate and complete.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills, good judgment, and the ability to build relationships and interact professionally with stakeholders, including donors, board members, external partners and staff at all levels of the organization.
- Proven ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with internal, cross-functional and external partners.
- Excellent writing, editing, grammatical, organizational, and research skills.
- Attention to detail and deadlines in a fast-paced multitasking environment.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion and ease.
- Ability to stay focused, flexible and adapt to changing priorities.
- Must be able to take initiative and anticipate and enjoy problem solving.
- Ability to maintain positive demeanor and constructive approaches under stress and deadlines.
- Effective personal time management and project management skills; consistent and reliable attendance.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.