A global tribe of individuals, partners and progressives, devoted to creating extraordinary experiences for our community throughout our proprietary brands - we are sbe.
Visionaries at the forefront of hospitality, cuisine, design, residences and entertainment, our lifestyle moments are forged with highly-curated and passionate service.
We are committed to authenticity, sophistication, mastery and innovation. Our stage is the world. Our time is now.
With this in mind, we foster a family environment built on values that describe our lifestyle, experiences and how we see the world. When you have a tribe such as ours and place it in and around the collection of accommodations, restaurants, nightlife, retail and gaming, you create a force that can not be replicated by anyone else. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Responsible for monitoring and ensuring that company systems and standard operating procedures are met for all areas that directly report to him/her. Primary responsibilities are overseeing all aspects of culinary production and event execution to include full service restaurant, rooftop lounge, 4 brand ghost kitchens and catering. Must work closely with the culinary team in promoting the sbe’s culture, mission and philosophy.
We are seeking an Executive Chef to join our inspired and driven NYC Culinary Team at Umami Prime at The Le Méridien New York Hotel!
POSITION SUMMARY/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while leading the staff and managing all food related systems
- Role models company quality standards and service
- Constantly growing and coaching lower management and line level staff
- Provides clear direction and achievable goals for their entire team
- Current with culinary concepts, practices and procedures
- Ability to estimate food consumption and requisition or purchase food
- Will select and develop recipes; standardize production recipes to ensure consistent quality and establish presentation technique and quality standards
- Supervises and carries out the correct procedure of preparation, presentation and portion control for all raw and cooked foods in accordance with the menu with adequate pars required for efficient service
- Supervises all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high-quality product is produced, i.e. daily line checks and quality control
- Establishes results-oriented objectives for the kitchen as well as personal objectives in regards to professional development
- Controls direct labor costs associated with the kitchen staff-creates weekly schedules, ensuring productivity levels are maximized through the effective utilization of all colleagues and providing hands-on support as required
- Plan and price menus
- Ensure proper equipment operation and maintenance
- Ensure proper safety and sanitation in kitchen
- Must be able to prepare selected items or for selected occasions
- Develop recipes and portion specifications in accordance with consumer tastes, nutritional needs, product specifications, ease of preparation and established procedures and budgetary constraints
- Fully supportive of and cognizant of all Corporate Programs
- Accountable for overall success of the culinary operations
- Optimizes profitability levels through consistent monitoring of venue inventory, food cost controls and strategic promotional initiatives
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to provide clear direction to the venue teams.
- Communicate with employees using a positive and clear speaking voice, listen to and understand requests, respond with appropriate actions and provide accurate information.
- Remain calm and alert, especially during emergency situations and/or heavy restaurant activity, serving as a role model for team and other employees. Interact with other department personnel and venue staff as needed.
- Make decisions and take actions based on previous experience and good judgment, sometimes revising procedures to accommodate unusual situations.
- Develop and implement cost saving and profit enhancement measures within your scope of responsibility.
- To be aware of and ensure constant compliance with all necessary operational policies including:
- Health and Safety
- Food Hygiene
- Emergency Procedures
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the General Manager based upon the particular requirements of sbe.
- Attend mandatory meetings including divisional meetings, staff meetings, etc.
- Participate in community events and ensure corporate social responsibility goals of sbe are met.
- Utilize traditional software programs such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint), Toast, Ultipro, Foodiger and any departmental specific systems used.
- Keep work area clean and organized.
- Ensure confidential documents are kept in a secured area.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Ownership or Corporate Offices.
- Demonstrate positive leadership characteristics, which inspire Team Members to meet and exceed standards.
- Ensure that all staff follows and are in compliance with sbe’s policies and procedures.
- Assimilate into sbe’s culture through understanding, supporting and participating in all sbe elements. Demonstrate working knowledge of the service standards.
- Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established by sbe from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position.
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the property.
- Strong Writing Skills: Advanced
- Positive, Gracious Demeanor: Expert
- Detail Oriented: Expert
- Clearly Speak in English: Expert
- Ability to Stand for Hours: Expert
- Behaviors Required
- Innovative: Consistently introduces new ideas and demonstrates original thinking
- Functional Expert: Considered a thought leader on a subject
- Leader: Inspires teammates to follow them
- Motivations Required:
- Goal Completion: Inspired to perform well by the completion of tasks
- Ability to Make an Impact: Inspired to perform well by the ability to contribute to the success of a project or the organization
- Financial: Inspired to perform well by monetary reimbursement
- Experience Preferred: 4-6 yrs. culinary managerial experience