Relying on deep therapeutic area expertise,scientific knowledge and an understanding of Clinical Development and Medical Affairs,this role is responsible for the US medical/scientific TA strategy, productportfolio and contributing to pipeline clinical development programs. Thisposition serves on the cross-functional US leadership team for the Therapy Area(TA) and is highly visible, collaborative and influential in ensuring USpatient needs and market dynamics are proactively addressed.
Leads the US TA Medical strategy,co-creates the US TA business strategy and influences the global TA strategy toensure alignment with US competitive landscape, Regulatory framework andstrategic aspirations. Actively participates and informs global developmentprograms from a conceptual/strategic level based on US market trends anddemands and translates to the practical execution level.
Develops and maintains relationshipswith external organizations/experts to ensure BI’s products meet market needsand offer patient-centric therapeutics options to enhance BI’sreputation. External relationships drive the support of BI researchprograms, clinical development programs and licensed product maintenance andoptimization, including real world evidence planning. This includesdeveloping the strategy for US Medical Advisory Board and Expert Panelmeetings, Medical Grants, External Collaborative Research, strategic evidencegeneration activities and Medical Publications.
Manages TA Medical budget andresources. ED actively manages and develops TA Medical staff. Indirectly engages with across functional groups to ensure alignment andclarity of TA strategy. Ensures implementation and prioritization of TA agendawithin the US business and creates visible collaboration between in-house andfield Medical planning and execution.
As an employee of BoehringerIngelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development anddelivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presenceprovides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offeringvisibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. Werealize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. Wesupport our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy workingenvironment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking andwork-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflectBoehringer Ingelheim's high regard for our employees
- Business-minded medical executive is responsible for the long-term development, coordination, prioritization and execution of the US medical TA, product development and evidence generation strategies. Actively engage with corporate Medicine to shape Global TA strategy through interpretation and understanding of long-term US market needs and collaborates with Corporate TA to ensure US position and resource requirements within global TA strategy are appropriate. Gathers insights, maintains a high degree of awareness of clinical landscape, guidelines, scientific literature and builds external relationships to form a relevant and sustainable strategy reflective of patient, payor and other US customer needs. Uses customer-centric mentality to communicate and influence the implementation of US TA strategy within BI. Collaborates with Scientific Communications, Field-Based Medicine (FBM), Clinical Operations, and Regulatory Leaders to ensure BI captures, interprets and reports meaningful data, trends and insights to inform medical plan objectives within TA.
- Possesses deep therapeutic area/scientific knowledge and in-depth understanding of US medical affairs, clinical development and US healthcare delivery system. Keeps abreast of current medical/scientific progress and actively develops and maintains relationships with outside experts aligned with the scientific objectives and business objectives of the Therapeutic Area Section. Serves as a liaison by representing the company with external professional societies, patient groups and other relevant entities. Continuous awareness of the changing healthcare environment and provider/expert and payer landscapes.
- As the top US TA authority, oversees the development medical/scientific content, owns TA grant strategy and participates in internal and external events/forums to advance BI's business.
- Leads and develops a Therapeutic Area Medical team to enable effective design and implementation of medical and research objectives for US TA and BI. Responsible for ensuring TA staff meets department goals, successfully execute tactics and collaborate with key stakeholders/BI functions, in accordance with compliance and regulatory guidelines.
- Performs HR activities related to hiring, talent management, succession planning, and performance management.
- Establishes an environment of engagement, collaboration, positive culture and mutual respect internally and with key external customers for the therapeutic area.
- DRUG DEVELOPMENT
- Dedicated to a successful and relevant global clinical development program to the US therapeutics strategies throughout the full life cycle of drug development. Evaluates and provides medical/scientific, technical and managerial input into global and US drug development and discovery programs through TA team and participation in local and international committees. Directs the local implementation of such programs in alignment with global TA agenda while balancing against budgets and financial planning expectations.
- BUSINESS ACUMEN
- Focus on outcomes and accountability of TA team. Highly collaborative with other business critical functions (e.g. Marketing, HEOR, Compliance, Legal, HR, Finance, etc).
- Understanding of business objectives for the portfolio/product.
- Influences internal peers and functional leaders to develop compliant and relevant process and policies across TA. May proactively identify gaps in how BI collects, reports and uses market intelligence. Works with functional leadership to close these gaps.
- Provides input to maintain US BI standards, work ethics, processes and procedures necessary to run a cost efficient department.
- MD, DO or PhD from an accredited institution in a medical/scientific discipline or Doctoral degree in Pharmacy.
- MD or DO with eight plus (8+) years OR PhD with ten plus (10+) years OR PharmD with twelve plus (12+) years industry experience in clinical Drug Development and US Medical Affairs and understanding of the US clinical practice environment.
- Extensive industry experience in clinical Drug Development and US Medical Affairs required.
- Clear record of successfully planning and executing Medical Affairs and/or Clinical Development strategy, clinical trials, regulatory submissions and a demonstrated ability to function at a program level.
- Experience in an Academic Medical environment with an established record of clinical investigation.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, coach and develop teams.
- Ability to effectively work in a multidisciplinary team.
- Exhibits flexibility in working collaboratively across internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated business acumen with ability to balance need for maintaining high scientific standards with business relevance and impact.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish strong customer relationships.
- Focus on external customers.
- Requires pharmaceutical industry experience in clinical drug development and/or Medical Affairs in the specific therapeutic area or closely related field.
Must belegally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
Must bewilling to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)
Must be 18years of age or older
At Boehringer Ingelheim we createvalue through innovation with one clear goal: to improve the lives of patients.We develop breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions in areasof unmet medical need for both humans and animals. As a family owned company wefocus on long term performance. We are powered by 50.000 employeesglobally who nurture a diverse, collaborative and inclusiveculture. Learning and development for all employees is key because yourgrowth is our growth.
Want to learn more? Visit boehringer-ingelheim.comand join us in our effort to make more health.
Boehringer Ingelheim, includingBoehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim USA,Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health USA Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim Animal HealthPuerto Rico LLC and Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont, Inc. is an equalopportunity and affirmative action employer committed to a culturally diverseworkforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employmentwithout regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry;citizenship status, marital, domestic partnership or civil union status;gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation;pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition; physical or psychiatricdisability; veteran or military status; domestic violence victim status;genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or anyother characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.