How many people can answer the question, "What do you do for a living?" with the answer, "I help find cures for cancer." At LLS, employees take our mission seriously. Whether you work in one of our chapters, are an accountant at the national office or a specialist in our Information Resource Center, you work each day on making our mission a reality: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. Join us and give new meaning to the word, "job."
Top level chapter position that provides overall leadership and management for fundraising strategies designed to create cost effective and on-going sources of revenue, community presence, and mission enhancement for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) within the chapter's chartered territory. Responsible for managing chapter human and financial resources through the development of an annual budget and Plan of Operations, and in administering LLS policies and procedures necessary to the efficient functioning of the chapter.
Reports to: RVP
Supervises: May supervise assigned staff
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leadership, direction, management and training for chapter staff in the development and implementation of organizational plans.
- The overall leadership and management for short and long term strategies designed to create cost effective and ongoing sources of revenue, community presence, and mission enhancement for LLS within the Chapters chartered area.
- Establishes annual income development plan representing broad opportunities for donor prospecting, cultivation, retention, upgrade, acknowledgement and recognition.
- Serves as the primary liaison to prominent volunteers and to Board of Trustees in fund raising responsibilities.
- Directs the cultivation and involvement of volunteers in income producing activities.
- Evaluates the income growth potential of all chapter development activities and develops appropriate strategies to ensure income stability and growth.
- Evaluates the resources within the chapter territory and develops plans which support maximum market penetration.
- Directs the cultivation and acquisition of major donors, foundation and corporate contributions through grantsmanship, sponsorship and material and/or in-kind support.
- Provides leadership, direction, management and training for chapter staff in the development and implementation of operational plans.
- Serves as catalyst to identify, recruit, train, develop, recognize and retain volunteer leadership at all levels of chapter operations to achieve strategic initiatives.
- Guide the Standing Committees of the Chapter Board of Trustees providing leadership, cultivation, acknowledgement, material support, and assistance in building and implementing committee annual plans.
- Serves as the staff manager and partners with the Chapter Board of Trustees providing leadership, support, materials, reports and assistance in building and implementing their annual plans and in ensuring the on-going development of a strong chapter board.
- Serves as primary staff spokesperson to promote the understanding of the LLS mission and presence in the chapter territory.
- Cultivates productive relationships with the media and various constituent and related groups including professional, educational and political leadership.
- Oversees the efficient and effective operation of chapter personnel and the facility in accordance with the policies and procedures established by LLS.
- Administers the chapter's accounting practices, the maintenance of its fiscal records, and the preparation of its financial reports.
- Ensures and oversees the preparation of reports, chapter records and other documentation as requested which present the progress and status of the chapter's plans and activities.
- Implements the approval process for all contracts, purchases and banking activities in accordance with LLS operational policies and/or practices.
- Provides leadership in building confidence and a strong working relationship between the chapter office and the national Home Office.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the LLS mission and programs to promote the field and campaign fundraising initiatives.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree, advanced degree preferred
- 10+ years of progressively responsible related experience with a minimum of 4 years in senior management
- Collaborate with Mission Team ensuring success of patient access, education, public policy & advocacy and research
- Proven fundraising results with knowledge and experienced in nonprofit and volunteer management
- Knowledgeable and experienced in nonprofit and volunteer management
- Proficiency in fiscal management with strong analytical capabilities
- Ability to leverage relationships and negotiate agreements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of digital, social media & emerging online channels
- Proven supervisory, leadership and team building skills
- Training and/or experience in community development and strategic planning
- Ability in volunteer recruitment and development
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- Weekend & evening work required
- Travel approximately 70% within local market. Nationwide travel approximately 25% for meetings and events
- Physical demands are minimal and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations
- Work environment is representative and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations