Oversees and directs all food production, food presentation, and all back-of-the-house activity. Expected to meet or exceed community food service standards at all times, adhering to budgetary requirements, and managing kitchen operations in a cost-effective manner. Supports the Executive Chef in running kitchen operations
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are normal for this position. This list is not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Assists Executive Chef in all Kitchen operations
- Plans, staffs, organizes and coordinates the preparation of all meals in all levels of care.
- Ensures compliance with Resident dietary restrictions.
- Assists in ensuring that all mealtime deadlines are met in all levels of care.
- Observes workers engaged in preparing, portioning, and garnishing foods to ensure that methods of cooking and garnishing and sizes of portions are as prescribed.
- Gives instructions to cooking staff in fine points of cooking.
- Required to work line or stations as needed
- Cooks and carves meats, and prepares dishes.
- Conducts regular Quality Assurance Audits.
- Practices safe and sanitary food handling.
- Practices all safety and loss prevention procedures.
- Attends all in-services as required.
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
Directly supervises employees in the Kitchen and steps into Executive Chefs roll in his absence. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Educational Requirements and Experience:
- Bachelor s degree in culinary arts program preferred.
- Minimum of three years experience as a Chef/Kitchen Manager in a senior living community.
- Successful completion of recognized food safety course.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Language Ability:
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally speaking the primary language of the residents.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Mathematical Skills:
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Cognitive Demands:
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Computer Skills:
- Ability to use Microsoft Windows, including Word and Excel. Ability to use email and the Internet.
- Must demonstrate an interest in working with a senior population.
- Manages people effectively by taking responsibility for subordinates' activities; Makes self available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; Improves processes, products and services.
- Provides leadership by exhibiting confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well.
- Interacts with guests, residents and staff in a courteous and friendly manner.
- Responds promptly to resident needs.
- Supports organization's goals and values.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Works primarily indoors. Exposure to high heat and cold temperatures.
- Possible exposure to unpleasant odors.
- Possible exposure to chemicals as identified in the MSDS Manual.
- Continuous exposure to residents who are ill, confused, irritable and irrational.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the Team Member is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and taste or smell. The Team Member is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The Team Member must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and peripheral vision.
The employer is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the employer will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.