According to established policies and procedures, performs assessments and creates exercise prescriptions for participants with medical complexity and/or physical disability. Works together with the SRAlab Clinical team and Galvin Fitness Staff to achieve goals and objectives. Proactively recommends strategies and implements processes for fitness center programs.
Consistently demonstrates support of the SRAlab statement of Mission and Philosophy by striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts and showing respect and compassion for patients and their families, fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or in the interest of the institute.
Consistently demonstrates SRAlab Core Attributes: Communication, Accountability, Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving, Customer Service and SRAlab Values (Hope, Compassion, Discovery, Collaboration, & Commitment to Excellence) while fulfilling job duties.
- Establishes safe and appropriate exercise programs through assessment and evaluation to achieve participant prescriptive goals.
- Performs advanced exercise testing such as VO2max testing, cardiac monitoring during exercise testing (EKG), Biodex system 3 strength testing and Body Composition testing.
- Measures and documents physiological outcome data.
- Analyzes program outcomes for quality and fiscal soundness to ensure that all aspects of the fitness programs are achieved.
- Instructs daily exercise prescriptive with community and employee members inclusive of those with medical complexity and/or physical disability diagnoses. This includes, but is not limited to: Spinal Cord Injury, Traumatic Brain Injury, Visual Impairments, Cerebral Vascular Accident, Parkinson’s Disease, Arthritis.
- Helps develop and promote regular programs to provide creative and value-added classes, programs and activities for members.
- Serves as liaison between the SRAlab outpatient clinical team and staff members of the Galvin Fitness Center.
- Maintains record-keeping of all health screenings, medical clearance forms and attendance sheets for all classes and programs.
- Ensures that exercise equipment is safe, clean and in proper working order.
- Stays current with areas of professional advancement by attending meetings, conferences, and seminars.
- Shares responsibility for providing gym floor supervision and assisting members of the adaptive fitness center as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Reports to the Manager, Fitness Services - Helen M. Galvin Fitness Center
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- Master’s Degree preferred in exercise science, exercise physiology or related field. Bachelor’s required.
- Current Nationally-recognized health fitness certification required from an organization such as ACSM, NASM, or NSCA. Clinical certification preferred.
- Current ACSM Inclusive Fitness Trainer certification within 6 months post-hire.
- Previous experience conducting exercise tests such as VO2max testing, body composition and cardiac monitoring required.
- Knowledge of anatomy and kinesiology with applications to developing personal exercise programs.
- Strong teaching and presentation skills.
- Experience in adaptive group exercise or special populations preferred.
- Communication and interpersonal skills necessary to interact on a daily basis with internal/external customers.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills and makes sound judgments to monitor and respond to client needs.
- Anticipates, assesses and addresses the needs of clients to positively influence the client/customer experience (directly or indirectly).
- Strong interest in research and evidence-based practice.
- BLS and First Aid certification required.
- Normal fitness environment with occasional exposure to extreme temperatures and hazards such as muscle injury and bruises.
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours required.
SRAlab is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.