The Exercise Physiologist performs all exercise related patient care services in the Joslin Clinic exercise programs or in contractual services. The Exercise Physiologist will have direct patient contact and also have the opportunity to be involved in program development and related marketing and educational services.
This is a part-time, benefits eligible position.
This position is 24 hours per week; typical hours are Monday, Wednesday and Friday 8:00 am-5:00 pm, with slight flexibility needed for days that have an evening program (those days the hours would adjust to 9:30 am -6:30/7:00 pm)
- Acquires and Demonstrates basic diabetes knowledge and skills through successful completion of Joslin Clinic Competency Program.
- Develops appropriate exercise prescription by performing a comprehensive patient assessment (review of patient’s medical history, overall activity patterns, complications and limitations), instructs patient on exercise guidelines for diabetes control and appropriately documents this information in patient medical records. Provides follow up services.
- Presents exercise lectures for group education programs and provides appropriate supervision for group exercise sessions. Leads group exercise sessions.
- Interacts and consults with patients diabetes team as well as other medical and allied health professionals (cardiologist, cardiac rehabilitation team, etc) as needed.
- Maintain current knowledge and certification requirements in both the exercise and diabetes fields, as well as maintain membership in national/local organizations.
- Assists with and participates in clinical activities by attending clinical conferences and continuing education programs, and assumes committee or task force assignments.
- Contributes to the development of exercise materials and provides professional training regarding exercise and diabetes for Joslin network providers and in the course of providing contractual services..
- Coordinates, per direct request of supervisor, all aspects (marketing, patient billing, patient complaints, staff coverage, statistics and financial responsibilities) of specified Exercise Physiology department program(s) and maintains effective communication of program operations to supervisor. Coordinates specified Exercise Physiology department programs and reports to supervisor on program operations.
- Prepares data for publications, & presentations at conferences & to private companies.
- A graduate of an accredited program in exercise physiology, physical education or exercise science.
- Masters degree preferred.
- Minimum of one year of experience in the area of Clinical exercise.
- American College of Sports Medicine Clinical Track Certification (or successful completion within 2 years of hire)
- Certified Diabetes Educator (or successful completion within 1 year of meeting the eligibility requirements set forth by the National Certification Board of Diabetes Educators)
Joslin Diabetes Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, disability status, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.