At MemorialCare Health System, we believe in providing extraordinary healthcare to our communities and an exceptional working environment for our employees. Memorial Care stands for excellence in Healthcare. Across our family of medical centers, we support each one of our bright, talented employees in reaching the highest levels of professional development, contribution, collaboration and accountability. Whatever your role and whatever expertise you bring, we are dedicated to helping you achieve your full potential in an environment of respect, innovation and teamwork.
The Pulmonary Rehab Exercise Physiologist provides direct care and guidance to patients and families with pulmonary and cardiovascular disease in phase 2 &3 pulmonary rehab programs. The Pulmonary Rehab Exercise Physiologist assists with the cardio-pulmonary monitoring of patients, instructs and reinforces the proper exercise form and use of exercise equipment, and observes and evaluates patients’ response to exercise, adjusting as indicated. This individual provides education to patients and their family members, incorporating knowledge of cardiopulmonary disease. The Pulmonary Rehab Exercise Physiologist position reports to the pulmonary rehab clinical therapy lead and works under the supervision of the physical and respiratory therapists in Pulmonary Rehab.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities of the Job
- Assists with outpatient phase 2 pulmonary rehab program and has primary responsibility for the phase 3 program, including tracking/collecting payment.
- Assists with pulmonary rehab and related community outreach programs.
- Assists in the supervision of exercise sessions, observing and reporting the patient’s physiological response to exercise. Communicates effectively with team members about individual patient findings or concerns.
- Assists with the intake of pulmonary rehab referrals.
- Assures patient safety by correctly applying telemetry to patients in phase 2. Recognizes and communicates normal and abnormal EKG and heart rhythms.
- Has knowledge of and instruct patients on the use of strengthening, stretching, exercise equipment and makes necessary adjustments for optimal form and posture.
- Identifies educational needs and provides the teaching necessary for each patient by interacting effectively with patients through both oral and written communication.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use of patient data base, documentation, EPIC. (and other related IT systems). Assists lead with outcomes data management.
- Maintains service areas, clean equipment, necessary supplies, and reports any malfunctions to ensure professionalism and safety standards
- Creates a positive team environment and enhances customer service by support a “no gossip” work environment, assuring that complaints are correctly routed to supervisory staff and not shared among coworkers who cannot change the issue. Assure AIDET is used appropriately with patients and their families.
- 1 years experience in hospital based pulmonary or cardiac rehab preferred.
- EKG/arrhythmia knowledge preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in exercise science or an allied health field
- ACSM Clinical Exercise Specialist certification (American College of Sports Medicine) preferred.
- Current American Heart Association BLS and ACLS certification required.