Exercise Physiologist, Sr/ 40 Hrs/ Days/ BWH Radiology
Under supervision from the Chief Exercise Physiologist and the Medical Director of the Stress Lab and of the Non-Invasive Cardiovascular Imaging Center, the Staff Senior Clinical Exercise Physiologist is primarily responsible for performing cardiac stress tests.
Responsibilities include: performing both standard exercise stress tests and exercise andpharmacological and Cardio-Pulmonary stress tests within the larger context of various imaging protocols (Nuclear Medicine, PET and MRI), interpreting and reporting ECG and other clinical data, assisting with education and training of fellows, residents and student interns, assisting in ongoing research projects, and assisting in administrative duties as needed.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Together with the covering physician, clinically assess patients before stress test, decide on adequate informed consent and appropriate procedures to follow, protocols to use, and special precautions if needed. Provide independent and direct supervision of the testing and the technologist assigned to the test.
- Conducts exercise and pharmacological stress testing and performs the following:
- Preparation of patient for stress testing, including preparation of intravenoussolutions of cardiac medications.
- Operates infusion pump under direct physician supervision and provides constant ECG monitoring for occurrence of unsafe and clinically significant arrhythmia’s and ischemic changes.
- Performs intermittent measurements of blood pressure
- Determines when the test should be terminated either for medical reasons or forpatient tolerance.
- Carefully follows surveillance during recovery and remains alert for post-exercise complications.
- Recognizes safe completion of recovery period and allows patient to leave thetesting area.
- Completes the exercise testing data forms and collates the exercise test results into a package of information in preparation for the final report to be approved by the laboratory director or his designate.
- Contacts the covering physician with occurrence of any condition that mightsuggest a medically hazardous condition exists
- Initiates CPR and calls code Blue when appropriate
- Conducts Cardio-Pulmonary stress tests in the stress lab in collaboration with the pulmonary staff.
- Performs regular inspection of all equipment, in accordance with departmental and hospital policies for operation and safety. Ensures proper function and maintenance before lab opens in the morning. Documents inspection and collates information. Follows up with Biomedical Engineering when necessary.
- Replenishes station supplies and linen. Lends input as to maintaining supply inventory.
- Assists in the development and updating of policy and procedure manuals, program development, as well as maintaining emergency preparedness through departmental in-services and bi-annual recertification.
- Assists in orienting and training new clinical exercise physiologists in department policies and protocols.
- Assists in the administration and supervision of student internships, residents and fellows in training.
- Assists with evaluating and maintaining the quality and quantity of patient care services in relation to:
- quality management program
- Maintains professional knowledge base by professional organization membership and regular attendance at in-service programs or workshops
- Participates in clinical research and teaching/educational activities as deemed appropriate.
- The primary job of the exercise physiologist will be to conduct stress tests. However, he/she will also participate in other duties as needed.
- Master of Science in Exercise Physiology required
- ACLS certification required.
- Testing experience in clinical setting required; three years preferred.
- ASCM Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist and /or ASCM Exercise Specialistpreferred.MA-Boston-BWH Boston Main Campus
BWH Boston Main Campus (BWHMAIN)
75 Francis St