At POET, it is our mission to be good stewards of the Earth by converting renewable resources to energy and other valuable goods as effectively as humanly possible. For POET Design & Construction, we support this mission by providing high quality, timely and cost-efficient engineering, procurement and construction services to our sister companies within POET.
Every day, Process Engineers play a critical role in supporting the mission of POET. This position designs and specifies process systems for site expansions and upgrades at existing or new Bioprocessing facilities. This position will collaborate with the POET team to innovate, optimize, and execute successful cutting-edge projects. Experienced Process Engineers also provide leadership and mentoring to junior engineers. Be part of the POET team that is growing the biofuels industry to improve the world we share.
The title of the position will reflect the experience of the selected candidate.
A successful Process Engineer is:
A leader and a role model
- Prepare process designs including, but not limited to:
- Block flow diagrams
- Process flow diagrams
- Piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&ID’s)
- Material and energy balances
- Design selection
- Specifying equipment
- Development of commissioning and operating procedures
- Instruct junior engineers in the development of process designs.
- Develop new process and process variations that complement POET’s current processes and role in the Biofuels industry.
- Estimate costs, personnel and material needs for projects.
- Prepare proposals, write specifications and establish completion dates for equipment, materials, and systems.
- Work with vendors and contractors on various projects, including bid packages, specifications, ordering materials and equipment, and aiding in installation oversight.
- Review and award vendor contracts, review and approve vendor drawings, and work with project teams in defining project needs.
- Meet all safety, budget, and schedule requirements.
- Assist in new technology research and testing to improve processes.
- Assist with on-site commissioning and start-up activities.
- Provide on-going engineering support to other POET groups and facilities.
- Foster a culture of safe behavior and environmental compliance at all times.
- Maintain a team environment at all times and champion POET in the community.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or greater in a related Engineering program required; Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering, Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, etc.
- 8 or more years of overall experience with 6 or more years of experience in a related industry; oil, gas, energy production, food processing, chemical manufacturing, industrial or agricultural, etc.
- Successful completion of the Professional Engineering examination preferred.
- Knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite and the ability and willingness to learn new software applications.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and communication skills as well as the ability to adapt to change.
This position is largely self-directed and requires a thorough understanding of company policy, procedures, and values. Team members will be required to adhere to all safety requirements at all times and in all work environments. This position operates in an office environment, as well as a plant, and/or construction environment. The team member may be exposed to high noise levels, moving mechanical parts, dusty conditions, internal and external temperature/weather conditions, and chemicals.
Up to 50% sporadic travel is estimated and includes some overnight stays as required. POET provides transportation via corporate and commercial planes and the use of company vehicles. Travel is typically planned in advance and designed by the team member to meet the needs of the company.
Specific physical requirements may include:
- Sitting for approximately 90% of the time while working on a personal computer.
- Occasionally lifting weight up to sixty (60) pounds or less.
- Climbing several flights of stairs and ladders.
- Occasionally bending, twisting, and turning while lifting weights of less than fifty (50) pounds.
- Walking of two (2) or more miles per day.
- Working at heights, in confined spaces, and at temperatures from -20 to +100 degrees.
- Standing for extended periods of time.
- Wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
POET is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.
Sioux Falls, SD - A Great Place to Live!
The community-wide efforts in Sioux Falls to maintain one of the healthiest environments in the nation in which to live, work and raise a family are making headlines.