Spry is a certified Small Business (SB) headquartered in McLean, VA. Spry provides Enterprise, C4IT, Management, and Cyber Solutions to the federal government and commercial entities. Founded in 2001, Spry Methods was built on the foundation of combining industry knowledge with unmatched responsiveness to produce results for our customers. Our goal is to build a business dedicated to the maximization of value for all stakeholders starting with our employees, our customers, and our community. We recognize that talented and dedicated employees are our most valued assets and the foundation of our success. Guided by these principles, we have established an impressive track record of proven past performance serving our customers within the Commercial, Federal Civilian, DoD, and Intelligence Communities. A CMMI Level 3 certified and ISO 9001:2008 registered company, Spry is committed to quality and continuous improvement.
Spry Methods seeks an energetic, collaborative Explosives Range Technician (ERT) with a strong work ethic. The technician will empower the FBI in the use of forensics, biometrics, and identity intelligence.
Qualified candidates in this role will serve as the explosives RSO to ensure that safe test operations take place and that all scientists, technicians, and visitors are aware of range hazards and conduct themselves in a safe manner. The ERT shall serve as a support engineer and will be required to work as a member of a team employing well developed communication skills, discretion, and cooperation.
Job Responsibilities and/or Success Factors
- Aid energetic material characterization efforts designed to understand explosives hazards and performance properties
- Develop and write safety plans, provide a range safety overview to new personnel and visitors, purchase and inventory test range equipment, prepare and maintain the explosives test range for experimentation, maintain the test range equipment, manage wastes, support and perform explosives production operations, support and perform explosives hazard and performance characterization
- Support operations at the Department of Homeland Security Detection Technology (DTC), by suppling IEs and IEDs, assisting with explosives and device handling, and retrieving the devices following detection analysis.
- Demonstrate knowledge of policy and procedures related to waste generation, and waste disposal are essential
- Test fixture design and production according to drawings and schematics, experience with oscilloscopes, piezo pins, and high-speed videography.
- Research, develop, and author whitepapers and information papers, as required
Required skills and experience include
- High school diploma
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience working with explosives, pyrotechnics, propellants, explosive production/disposal and experience with blasting machines, initiators, firing units, and their maintenance
- Have familiarity with a variety of detonation techniques
- Strong background in electrical engineering, welding, woodworking, and metalworking to assist with IED construction and lethality assessment
- Be familiar with all aspects of range operation, Entrance On Duty(EOD), and capability to clearly communicate with other EOD personnel as required
- Knowledge of chemistry, physics, materials science, and electrical engineering
- Willingness to learn about chemical processes necessary to prepare energetic materials. and the techniques used to characterize energetic materials and explosive formulations
- Competence with heavy equipment such as forklifts and tractors
- Ability to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat
- Candidates must be US citizens and able to pass a background check, drug screening, and a polygraph (if required)
At Spry, we believe talented and dedicated employees are our most valued assets and the foundation of our success. We are committed to crafting a diverse and inclusive workplace that endorses engagement, creativity, quality and innovation.
We are proud to be an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and as such, we evaluate qualified candidates in full consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, disability status, protected veteran status, and any other protected status.