Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook Reality Labs Research is inventing the technologies needed for future augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) products by performing breakthrough research in personalized AI, computer vision, optics, eye tracking, human-computer interaction, neural interfaces, and mixed reality that will lead to groundbreaking AR and VR experiences. As a Director of Technical Program Management at Facebook Reality Labs Research, you will lead teams that will move our ambitious research forward.
Technical Program Managers in Facebook Reality Labs Research work collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team of researchers, engineers, designers, and data scientists to build the future of connection within virtual and augmented reality. They have the opportunity to impact not just one area, but a broad portfolio that spans across all of Facebook, Inc. If this sounds exciting, we want to talk to you.
You will work closely with internal Facebook Reality Labs Research teams, key cross-functional teams throughout Facebook, external academic and industry partners to enable long-term teams strategies, build and execute strategic staffing roadmaps, build technical and operations program management organizations, develop and manage partner relationships.
The right candidate will possess a strong program management background, ideally have a well-rounded technical understanding or direct hands-on experience of one of the technical/technology areas within software, mechanical or electrical engineering, and experience developing and scaling a team of program managers. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an environment not hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. To be successful, you will eliminate barriers to your team’s success, and ensure the big picture stays in focus while delving into the details on specific issues.
Ideal team members are adaptable and resilient, eager to approach unfamiliar problems with curiosity and tenacity, and able to tailor PM tools to fit teams finding ways to be efficient. You will need a blend of product management acumen, management expertise, and organizational development judgement and the agility to collaborate cross-functionally with a wide range of stakeholders both within your immediate team and across Facebook Reality Labs Research and Facebook to help your team build the future.
1. Lead the overall Facebook Reality Labs Research Technical Program Management/Program Management (TPM/PgM) community.
2. Identify, foster and manage key elements of successful partnerships between the various Facebook Reality Labs Research programs.
3. Guide teams and managers towards finding the proper balance between process and flexibility, so the most effective methodologies are applied to the various Facebook Reality Labs Research programs relative to their needs and technology maturity level.
4. Develop the communication structure to enable the Facebook Reality Labs Research TPM/PgM team to share effective practices and solutions.
5. Provide management, coaching and mentorship to Facebook Reality Labs Research TPM/PgM roles in order to maximize team’s health and effectiveness, and to optimize individuals’ career growth.
6. Represent technical, policy, legal, and operational constraints to organizational leadership and work with them to develop and drive plans that allow the organization to either successfully operate within those constraints, or make improvements to existing systems.
7. Build, develop, and manage teams of managers and individual contributors including TPMs, PgMs, OPMs.
8. Own organization specific operational duties.
9. 15+ years of experience as technical team lead, program manager, product manager, or equivalent leadership role in a research, software development, or new product development environment.
10. 10+ years of direct people management experience.
11. A track record of planning, executing, and delivering strategic and operational results for complex and cross-functional technical projects.
12. Interpersonal and inter-team skills, including partnership building, mentorship, and conflict resolution within a diverse, cross-functional team.
13. Experience building and leading high-performing teams and organizations within a large company.
14. Experience going through a full product lifecycle, integrating customer feedback into product requirements, driving prioritization and pre/post-launch execution.
15. Bachelor’s degree in computer science, hardware engineering, biomedical engineering, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
16. Graduate degree in computer science, hardware engineering, biomedical engineering, other hard sciences, or a related technical field.
17. Experience managing programs in research or early product development, consumer electronics, medical device development, or academic research.
18. 5+ years experience in managing or technical leadership at a large technology company.
19. Entrepreneurial background or start-up experience.
Equal Opportunity: Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.