Who we are
Virgin Galactic www.VirginGalactic.com is on track to become the world’s first commercial space line. We are a publicly listed, a vertically integrated aerospace and space travel company, pioneering human spaceflight for private individuals and researchers, as well as a manufacturer of advanced air and space vehicles. Virgin Galactic is dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism, developing a spaceflight system designed to offer customers a unique and transformative experience. If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver, and can make things happen - apply today.
Who You Are
Virgin Galactic is seeking a Facilities Maintenance Technician (FMT) to actively participate in a team environment to meet the department, plant goals, and objectives. The FMT will be responsible for performing routine repairs and maintenance and will assist as directed with more complex maintenance and repairs of TSC’s facilities and equipment. The FMT will also perform basic carpentry, plumbing, HVAC or associated work on TSC facilities using hand and power tools as directed and will troubleshoot equipment or facilities problems and report to the Facilities Supervisor.
- Follow preventive maintenance procedures on all plant equipment in a timely and thorough manner; logging all activities routinely in the Maintenance EAM Program
- Maintain the operation of equipment and systems in the areas of responsibilities such as compressed air, vacuum, dust collection, electrical distribution, refrigeration, security and fire protection.
- Participate in planning, ordering, installing and training for new equipment.
- Trouble shoot and perform diagnostics on damaged or malfunctioning equipment; make repairs where necessary or recommend to the Facilities Supervisor to arrange for outside vendor to service equipment.
- Respond immediately to emergency situations (fire, security, evacuation, power and equipment failure, etc.).
- Comply with all applicable codes, regulations, governmental agency and company directives as relates to building operations and practice safe work habits.
- Performs basic carpentry, mechanical, plumbing and painting of facilities.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.
What you bring
- 4+ years of related work experience
- Must be able to work 6:00am to 4:30pm or later, four to five days a week
- Good interpersonal skills, with Good written/verbal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail with the ability to prioritize and consistently meet deadlines
- Able to successfully keep multiple tasks running simultaneously with strong analytical skills
- Able to provide constructive feedback and creative solutions to problems.
- Responsible, flexible, fast learner that has the ability to be a self-starter with a willingness to learn new things.
- Strong mechanical skills on electric motors, vacuum pumps, air compressors, HVAC, electronic controls, etc. preferred.
- Inspect electrical systems, equipment and components to identify hazards, defects and the need for adjustment or repair and to insure compliance with codes.
- Plan layout and installation of electrical wiring, equipment and fixtures based on job specifications and local codes.
- Ability to accurately follow operation manuals, manufacturing and installation instructions, sketches, blueprints and diagrams.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Outlook
- On Call Coverage to support team as needed
- Holds and able to maintain a valid California driver’s license
- Must be a “U.S. person” as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR §120.15)
- Physical and/or Additional Requirements
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 9 hours min.
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces.
- Physically able to unpack, pack, lift, and transport boxed items weighing up to 50 pounds, occasionally lift and move 50+ lbs with assistance.
- Must be able to work at heights of 20 feet’ or more and comfortable working in confined spaces.
ITAR RequirementsTo conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.