Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Senate Democratic lobbyist for the Federal Advocacy team to support its advocacy efforts.
The lobbyist is responsible for developing and maintaining relationships and building support for PhRMA priorities, policies and positions. S/He will focus primarily on lobbying members of the United States Congress, specifically Senate Democrats and their staff on proposed legislation and issues of importance to patients and the pharmaceutical industry.
This position will:
- Lobby Senate Democratic members and their staff on potential/proposed legislation and the impact of such legislation to patients and the pharmaceutical industry.
- Coordinate with PhRMA colleagues and member company staff on policy positions and the development of legislative strategy related to health care coverage, access to pharmaceutical therapies, budget and appropriations issues, and other matters relevant to industry.
- Represent the Federal Advocacy team at internal PhRMA meetings and collaborate across departments on policy, engagement strategy and messaging materials.
- Anticipate, track and analyze legislation relevant to industry priorities, involving PhRMA staff and member company representatives as needed.
- Manage consultants who provide services to the Federal Advocacy team.
We are seeking a strong advocate for the pharmaceutical industry who is passionate about the health care challenges we face today. This role is highly visible and requires substantive engagement with members of Congress, member company representatives and all levels of PhRMA staff. Critical to this position is the ability to build relationships and support, communicate in a respectful and influential manner and work both independently and as a committed team player. The successful candidate will be a well-regarded, self-starter with a reputation for integrity and results.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Government Relations or other related field of study;
- 5+ years of combined legislative, White House, government affairs consulting and/or pharmaceutical industry experience;
- Understanding of procedures, protocols of standing committees regarding witnesses, testimony and Congressional activities, working knowledge of the Congressional process and ethics rules and regulations;
- Strong relationship building skills, integrity and reputation;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated collaborator and team player.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested nearly $1 trillion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $83 billion in 2019 alone.
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary and bonus program, various opportunities for reward and recognition and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, a wellbeing program, back-up care, health advocate service, employee assistance program and commuting benefits. We also offer a robust 401k plan with employer contributions upon the first day of hire and immediate vesting, a generous paid time off plan, seven paid holidays (plus inauguration day), half day Fridays preceding holidays and a paid winter break.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities including an integrated on-boarding program, best-in-class leadership programming, tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, and other management/professional development programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities, fundraising drives and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
As the trade association for several leading biopharmaceutical companies, our workforce and culture should reflect the makeup of our clients and the benefactors of our efforts – patients. We at PhRMA are committed to building a culture where diverse people, ideas, and experiences are welcomed, included, and celebrated; where our employees can thrive as they bring their best authentic selves to work every day. PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.