Title: Field Construction Inspector
Location: Oakland, California
Description: The FCI will provide independent, onsite construction quality assurance and inspection services to support the overall operational objectives of the Civil Engineering Unit (CEU), Oakland. The FCI will provide services specified in connection with construction projects for Government contracts as developed by the CEU.
- Provide all onsite inspection and construction quality assurance services required to deliver completed construction project in compliance with contract documents.
- Attend progress and other conferences and meetings.
- Review and become familiar with the contract documents for proposed construction execution.
- Review, analyze, and make recommendations on potential construction changes to the Construction Manager.
- Review and comment on Progress Schedules.
- Provide daily inspection, surveillance and reports of construction work to determine if the work is in accordance with contract requirements and that completed work conforms to contract requirements.
- Review all testing reports accomplished by construction contractors and any Government materials testing for conformance with specifications.
- Perform surveillance of survey operations for layout and elevations of construction work.
- Review and comment on quality control plans.
- Monitor submittals utilizing the contractor prepared submittal status log. Develop and maintain a filing system for submittals.
- Inform contractor and Contracting Officer of safety violations
- Coordinate requests for passes, outages, excavations, hauling, and delivery routes associated with Coast Guard property. Maintain liaison between the Station and the contractor.
- Assist in preparation of construction estimates for proposed changes for Government review, as may be required by Construction Project Managers.
- Review and comment on Contractor's Daily Construction Report.
- Maintain an Inspectors Diary or Daily Log. The Diary (Daily Log) shall be in a bound, not loose-leaf, notebook.
- Maintain orderly working files for correspondence, minutes of meetings and conferences, submittal status log, inspection and monthly reports, punch lists and contract documents including amendments, notices to proceed, change orders and modifications.
- Notify the Contracting Officer via the Construction Manager of any potential construction contractor claims/disputes relative to contract requirements and/or discrepancies in the drawings and specifications.
- Review and prepare comments on construction contractor's requests for time and price adjustments.
- Prepare and submit weekly progress reports to the Contracting Officer. The report should be in a narrative format.
- Monitor tests and inspect all plumbing, mechanical, electrical, telecommunications and special systems.
- Participate in pre-final and final inspections, assist in preparation of detailed punch lists and check that all punch list items are corrected prior to final payment. Comment on contractor's requests for final inspections regarding the completeness of specified construction work.
- Verify construction contractor's maintenance of accurate as built drawings on a monthly basis and provide comments on completed as-built drawings.
- Assist in review and comment on all "Operation and Maintenance" Manuals provided by construction contractor.
- Conduct labor standards interviews.
- The FCI assigned must have knowledge of building and construction crafts since detailed inspections must be performed to ensure therequiredworkmanship.The FCI shall be capable of reading and understanding contract drawings and specifications.
- The FCI shall have a minimum of five years of applicable experience on construction projects or other similar experience acceptable to the Contracting Officer.This experience shall include a wide range oftrades including, electrical, mechanical, HVAC, roofing, and general buildingconstruction.
- The FCI shallhave:
- KnowledgeofacceptablecurrentconstructionBuildingCodes in general, procedures and practices, materials and equipment used in the construction of buildings, public works andmarinefacilities.This knowledge is necessary to render determinations of satisfactory contract performance, for identification of factors which could affectcontractcost,impact/delaycompletiontimeandfor recognition of jobsite safetyviolations
- Ability to understand and interpret construction specificationsandplans.This knowledge is necessary to conferwithcontractor'srepresentativesatthesiteandto ensure quality assurance compliance with the project design.
- Knowledge of contract administrative techniques to ensure that proper administrative procedures are followed in the initiation of contract modifications, in inspection reporting and record keeping, and in contacts with the contractor's personnel. This knowledge is also necessary to monitor the contractor's quality control program, inspections, tests, records and their specific operation controls.
- Knowledge of construction cost estimating to determine the adequacy and validity of contractor's partial payment requests and to assist in making cost estimates for contract modifications.
- Skills to communicate effectively by both verbal and written means as the primary on site spokesperson to coordinate operations between the contractor and the Unit where the construction work is being accomplished, and to provide necessary through and concise information to Government and public officials.
- Ability to utilize Windows 10 and MS Office software as part of the standard USCG IT Workstation applications are highly desirable.
- Knowledgeofcontractadministrativetechniquestoensure thatproperadministrativeproceduresarefollowedinthe initiation of contract modifications, in inspection reporting and record keeping, and in contacts with the contractor'spersonnel. This knowledge is alsonecessary to monitor the contractor's quality control program, inspections,tests,recordsandtheirspecificoperation controls.
- WORK ENVIRONMENT: The position is not of a sedentary nature. Construction inspection requires constant moving, standing, climbing stairs and ladders, standing on roofs, walking around uneven and sloping grades at jobsites, and transporting heavy surveying or testing equipment.
CSE offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, life, disability, 401k, and paid time off.
CSE is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.