Provide mechanical, technical, and hands-on maintenance support to BIVI process/production operations. Will provide technical troubleshooting and training in the setup and operation of production equipment including all aspects of mechanical systems such as steam traps, heat exchangers, valves, pressure vessels, pumps, motors, bearings, drives, bioreactors, agitators, and seals. Will also provide basic electrical troubleshooting and maintenance support of instruments and controls. Hands on will include troubleshooting, root cause failure analysis, PM, testing, repairing, and modifying/improving equipment as outlined on a weekly schedule.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim's high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain production process equipment supporting production schedules and quality requirements. Duty may include additional operations equipment.
- Identify, determine, and seek approvals within change control requirements for equipment upgrades to enhance performance & reliability.
- Maintain work record histories of all equipment utilizing the computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) for creating and documenting work orders for all required work whether performed internally or by contractors.
- Perform all duties within the guidelines and policies required of a GMP environment and following all corporate and local requirements of budget management, finance, environmental health & safety, as well as all governing and regulatory agencies.
- Develop and improve preventive maintenance procedures.
- Support & utilize the basic application of PdM technologies such as vibration analysis, infrared thermography, ultrasound, oil analysis, and motor circuit analysis for condition monitoring, preventive maintenance, and troubleshooting tasks in an effort to improve the overall reliability of the equipment.
- Work with production operators and supervisors to identify training and process issues and then assist in identifying solutions for these issues.
- Utilize maintenance best practices tools such as laser alignment, dial indicators, calipers, torque wrenches, etc. while performing equipment maintenance tasks.
- Utilize schematics, prints, BMS, and SCADA to become a system(s) expert for a Building B Process and/or Utility, with full knowledge of operation, PM requirements, to repair or replace components of system and to shut down and startup system following proper procedures.
- A working knowledge with five (5) years of cGMP, EU and OSHA Part 11 guidelines as they pertain to fulfilling maintenance functions on Production Equipment and Utility Systems preferred.
- Demonstrates the willingness to learn and comply with any/all departmental SOP’s.
- Education: National Joint Apprenticeship Training (Journeyman) or degree in technical trade school preferred and ten (10) years of maintenance experience in three of the following five areas preferred. A) Fermentation, B) Bioreactors, C) CIP, D) Process Piping, and E) Pure Steam.
- Ten (10) years of experience in performing and or writing PM’s (in the pharmaceutical industry, preferred.) General knowledge of maintenance and construction of buildings, utility piping systems, production and facility machines.
- Ability to read drawings.
- Knowledge of machine tools.
- Two (2) years of General knowledge of electronics, electrical wiring and communications equipment or boilers and refrigeration operation and repair.
- Computer Skills: Must be proficient in MS Word and Excel.
- Experience in Maximo, INFOR or SAP CMMS is preferred but not necessary.
- Math Skills: Must be proficient in basic math skills equivalent to the 12th grade.
- Desired 1st class boiler operator license with experience in operation of high pressure boiler. Also desired is Universal Refrigeration License.
- Medium Work (Level 3) - Carrying 50 pounds occasionally and 30 pounds frequently
- Ability to work in outdoor environments as needed.
- Ability to handle stressful situations of job demand.
- Limited travel involved.
- Ability to work flexible hours and meet overtime demands as needed.
- Ability to demonstrate physical abilities as defined below:
- Exerting up 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 20 pounds of force frequently.
- Carrying 50 pounds occasionally and 30 pounds frequently
- Pushing and pulling 50 pounds occasionally
- Sitting occasionally
- Climb stairs, balancing, bending/stooping, and crouching/squatting frequently
- Crawling occasionally
- Twisting/spinal rotation, above shoulder work, low level work frequently
- Impact/jarring occasionally
- Fine finger dexterity/ grasping –firm and reaching forward frequently
- Grasping –light constantly
- Pinching and writing frequently
- Periods of extended use of Personal Protective Equipment occasionally
- Periods of extended use of respiratory protections occasionally
- Facial hair cannot interfere with seal of respiratory equipment
- Periods of physical activity in work environments of high or low temperatures and/or high or low humidity occasionally
- Visual / Hearing Demands: Near acuity (<20 in.) & Far acuity (>20 ft.) constantly, Contact lenses are allowable, Color Vision frequently, Depth Perception constantly, hearing demands frequently
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
- Must be willing to submit to a background investigation, including verification of your past employment, criminal history, and educational background
- Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)
- Must be 18 years of age or older
Boehringer Ingelheim is a different kind of pharmaceutical company, a privately held company with the ability to have an innovative and long term view. Our focus is on scientific discoveries that improve patients' lives and we equate success as a pharmaceutical company with the steady introduction of truly innovative medicines. Boehringer Ingelheim is the largest privately held pharmaceutical corporation in the world and ranks among the world's 20 leading pharmaceutical corporations. At Boehringer Ingelheim, we are committed to delivering value through innovation. Employees are challenged to take initiative and achieve outstanding results. Ultimately, our culture and drive allows us to maintain one of the highest levels of excellence in our industry. Boehringer Ingelheim, including Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim USA, Boehringer Ingelheim Roxane Inc., Roxane Laboratories Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica Inc. and Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Protected Veteran/Person with a Disability
Boehringer Ingelheim is firmly committed to ensuring a safe, healthy, productive and efficient work environment for our employees, partners and customers. As part of that commitment, Boehringer Ingelheim conducts pre-employment background investigations and drug screenings.