Job Title: Field Service Technician
At STERIS, we help our Customers create a healthier and safer world by providing innovative healthcare and life science product and service solutions around the globe.
We are currently looking for a Field Service Technician (FST), focused on our OR equipment, to join our team in the Sacramento area. The FST is a field-based, Customer-facing role that primarily travels to Customer sites to maintain, troubleshoot, service, and provide support for all operating room equipment. FST’s will also be responsible for building positive relationships with Customers and peers, as well as completing necessary administrative tasks. The ideal candidate is an independent go-getter that is mechanically inclined and that makes customer satisfaction and safety their top two priorities. Every day, something special happens at STERIS. What will YOU help us do next?
- Drive Customer satisfaction through pro-active communication and commitment to resolving Customer issues/problems expediently.
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance required on STERIS Surgical product lines, related product lines, and related competitive equipment in a safe and efficient manner. This includes: disassembling, replacing, or repairing defective parts; rewiring or reassembling as required; troubleshooting, adjusting/calibrating, and certifying equipment ready for use by using standard and specialized tools and test equipment (i.e., schematics, diagrams, technical manuals, etc.).
- Perform Customer training and in-servicing on assigned equipment (lights, tables, integration, etc.). Coordinate these activities with DSM and Capital Account Manager.
- Ensure a positive Customer experience by performing installations or conversions on assigned equipment and start up custom equipment as required. Perform site visits for small projects and coordinate activities with project managers and/or installers.
- Utilize technology (smart phone, laptop computer and related software and applications) to perform administrative duties as assigned to ensure effective planning, utilization, and required document completion. This includes, but is not limited to: scheduling and updating work activities in Siebel, complete service reports and activities on-site; communicate effectively with internal and external Customers; troubleshoot equipment, improve productivity, learn new technologies; maintain on-site Customer Service Logs according to STERIS procedures; and maintain tools and parts inventory to prescribed levels.
- Establish and maintain effective communicative relationships with Customers, managers, support functions and the sales organization. Communicate activities to Customers related to scheduling Preventative Maintenance and estimated time of arrival for unscheduled work. Pro-actively respond to and resolve Customer problems/issues. Utilize provided product and industry knowledge to assure Customer’s expectations of service are exceeded. Recommend product enhancements based on knowledge of the Customers equipment applications and processes. Actively seek continuing education opportunities.
- Increase company growth through identifying sales opportunities, and recommending STERIS products/services to Customers. Communicate leads to management and sales staff. Be a positive ambassador for STERIS at Customer sites.
- Learn and use proper operating room and hospital protocols while on-site. Abide by all STERIS and Customer Health & Safety protocols and procedures. These may include OR Protocol and Sterile Field guidelines
- Assist DSM by conducting or assisting with inventory procedures to ensure inventory levels are maintained according to company policy, and resolve outstanding purchase order issues once recognized by the DSM.
Skills & Requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent and 2 years of relevant experience required. Associate’s Degree in Electronics, Mechanical, Audio/Visual Communications, or similar discipline plus 1 year of experience strongly preferred.
- Some technical exposure to OR medical devices preferred. Strongly prefer 1 year of experience working on surgical equipment to include OR Integration, tables, lights, video integration, and other OR products.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot situations and determine solutions. Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently without supervision.
- Flexibility to handle multiple and changing priorities.
- Ability to work flexible hours, sometimes outside “normal business hours” and travel as required.
- Some knowledge of personal computers, video technology, video cabling, and networking required.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
- Physical Working Requirements
- This position requires routine walking, bending, kneeling, and squatting, sitting, standing, reaching, and twisting.
- Perform work from floor level to above shoulder height.
- Routinely lift/lower/carry 1 to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/lower 36 to 49 pounds .
- Climb ladders and/or scaffolds and work above floor height.
- Crouch, stoop or squat to work inside or under equipment, or move through low headroom spaces.
- Routinely push, pull, and grasp, requiring manual dexterity in the use of hands, arms and shoulders.
- Walk great lengths at a time and stand for extended periods of time.
- Work in tight spaces.
- Push/pull wheeled transporters and/or palletized product using up to approximately 50 lbs of force.
- Will work in and around hospital personnel, sensitive medical equipment and patients.
STERIS is a $2B, publicly traded (NYSE: STE) organization with approximately 12,000 associates worldwide and operates in more than 100 countries.
If you need assistance completing the application process, please call 1 (440) 392.7047. This contact information is for accommodation inquiries only and cannot be used to check application status.
STERIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and the use of affirmative action programs to ensure that persons are recruited, hired, trained, transferred and promoted in all job groups regardless of race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, and any other category protected by federal, state or local law. We are not only committed to this policy by our status as a federal government contractor, but also we are strongly bound by the principle of equal employment opportunity.
The full affirmative action program, absent the data metrics required by § 60-741.44(k), shall be available to all employees and applicants for employment for inspection upon request. The program may be obtained at your location’s HR Office during normal business hours.
Nearest Major Market: Salt Lake City
Job Segment: Maintenance, Technician, Medical, Outside Sales, Surgery, Manufacturing, Technology, Healthcare, Sales