The primary function of this position is to independently perform all major repairs to material handling equipment to the customer's satisfaction while in the field. Perform necessary service, preventative maintenance, repairs, replacements, installations, or re-building of components to restore material handling equipment to proper operation.
- Review the work schedule, check the equipment and supplies required to perform the work scheduled, comply with PPE requirements, and otherwise prepare for duties.
- Use repair manuals, parts manuals, and parts diagrams to troubleshoot engines, engine fuel systems, transmissions, or other components on material handling equipment.
- Load service truck with parts & equipment needed for field repairs to material handling equipment.
- Use lift trucks, hoist on truck, & other aides to lift or move parts into position to be repaired.
- Use hand & power tools to remove, install, replace, re-build, repair, & test parts/equipment on engines, engine fuel systems, transmissions, & other components.
- Perform all necessary safety checks on the equipment per procedures & policy.
- Use miscellaneous resources & computers to reference parts, get information about parts & enter data into record systems.
- Use hand & power tools to disassemble/re assemble parts or equipment, drains fluids into tubs, cleans parts with rags, cleaners.
- Climb up onto, under, & into vehicles, uses hand & power tools to disassemble/re assemble: sheet metal, engines, transmissions, fuel systems, & other parts or equipment.
- Replace pumps, batteries, radiators, bearings, seals, wiring, solenoids, fuel lines, nozzles, tests float valves, glow plugs, alternators.
- Use hoists on service truck to move parts that need to be moved off of vehicle & onto service truck & to move items back to vehicle to be reassembled.
- Use meters, measuring devices, & computers to test & recalibrate equipment, trains operators when necessary, completes warranty paperwork.
- Perform inspections, do preventative maintenance, change oil, replace filters, belts, coolants, hoses, may drain/clean/refill fuel systems.
Must have a high school education or GED.
Six years of experience with at least two years of experience on Hyster, Yale, Clark or other similar equipment; Must be advanced in at least four mechanical systems (i.e. transmissions, engines, hydraulics, etc.) for numerous model lines.
Must be able to daily and repeatedly stoop, kneel, bend and climb beside, onto and underneath various equipment to perform diagnosis and repairs. Must be able to effectively see to perform repairs, research technical manuals, and develop written repair work order reports. Must be able to routinely and physically lift/position various parts to perform repairs/service and manually handle parts up to 95 pounds, as well as use mechanical hoist for heavier parts.
Must be able to effectively write repair activities on customer work orders. Must have cognitive reasoning and problem solving skills to apply knowledge, written information and verbal instructions in repairing/servicing unusual and/or unknown technical equipment operational problems. Should have exposure to P.C. base equipment and parts information; Can work independently with minimal supervision. Ability to effectively communicate promoting good customer service.
Must be able to daily operate an assigned service vehicle as well as be prequalified to operate under GPEC Fleet Policy Standards. The driver must be able to operate their assigned vehicle for extended periods in order to reach customer's locations. Must be able to effectively communicate using telephones to receive instructions and to provide service information. Must be able to effectively deal directly with customers at site locations in a professional manner.
Field activities require a valid state driver's license (obtain within 30 days of hire a valid license within the state of GPLS's operation) AND possess a safe driving record which meets the safe driving standards outlined in the GPEC Fleet Policy. Operation of some vehicles will require a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL), others may require that the driver possess a DOT medical certification. Some positions may require that you obtain a DOT medical certification before you are considered for the position. All positions that require driving for company business or within a Company Owned Vehicle will be held to the standards of the GPEC Fleet Policy.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Your supervisor may request and assign you similar duties. Any major modification of this job role requires Human Resources approval.
Gregory Poole Equipment Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.Technician, Industrial, Gregory Poole