Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
Performs varied tasks of moderate complexity requiring the application of standard procedures and criteria. Responsible for installation, decommissioning and troubleshooting problems of network equipment and circuits. This includes the fiber, transport equipment and all critical infrastructures within. Demonstrates a degree of experience with circuit provisioning, maintenance and testing (DS1/DS3/SONET), test equipment, telecommunication equipment installation and acceptance. Responsible for the outside plant network in a given geographic boundary, including metro and long haul fibers.
The Main Responsibilities
- Diagnoses, troubleshoots and repairs customer and network troubles. Removes and replaces defective modules, tracks spares and ensures repair.
- Performs site surveys, fiber locating and oversees splicing of Metro/Long Haul Outside Plant fibers.
- Monitors and Locates fiber routes and executes restoration in the event of a service interruption, proactively responds to potential problem areas to ensure integrity of network.
- Installs, provisions, tests, and maintains DS0 through 100G services, Transport equipment, Signaling, Private Line, and Data Services.
- Responsible for asset management: process deliveries and replenishes consumables. Coordinates shipping and receiving of materials.
- Operates and maintains tools, test sets, and electronic equipment including, but not limited to: fiber optic transmissions equipment, lightwave multiplexing equipment, digital multiplexers, channel banks, circuit termination equipment, AC and DC power equipment, GN Nettest OTDR, fiber optic cable locating equipment, various BER type test equipment.
- Performs preventive/scheduled maintenance and inspections on equipment and on the critical infrastructure including, but not limited to: HVAC systems, high-voltage electrical systems, DC Power Plants.
What We Look For in a Candidate
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities:
- 2-5 years’ experience working of Installation, Test, and Turn-up of a variety of Telecommunication equipment including SONET, DCS, DWDM, Routers and Switches.
- Strong technical and mechanical background with experience on the latest generation transport gear, critical infrastructure (HVAC systems, high-voltage electrical systems, DC Power Plants, etc.), as well as knowledge of locating fiber optic cable, right-of-way, and As-Builts.
- The Tech II has the technical skills and abilities of a Tech I.
- Must have a high degree of experience and/or knowledge of at least two of the four major technician disciplines.
- Those technical disciplines are: Transmission (DS1/DS3/SONET), Switching (circuit-switching/SS7), TCP/IP (routers/higher-layer protocols), and Outside Plant (Fiber locating, OTDR, Mass Fusion Splicing, etc.).
- Some technical evaluation and fundamental judgment are required, while building an internal and external network.
- Must maintain site security and cleanliness.
- Must have PC skills and be well versed in Microsoft Windows and Office applications.
- Ability to quickly learn corporate databases.
- On-call 24x7 on a rotational basis, on stand-by, call out, dispatch, and overtime are required as dictated by the business.
- A valid driver’s license required with satisfactory driving record.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Education Level: High School/GED
- Experience: 2+ years of relevant job experience. Relevant job experience is described as job experience in similar industry or job experience with similar essential duties
- Field of Study: Electronics or Telecommunications
- Attention to detail with good organizational capabilities
- Ability to prioritize with good time management skills
- Field Tech - Sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl; lift 75 lbs.; works in all weather conditions
High School Diploma or Equivalent
Requisition #: 225236
When applying for a position, you may be subject to a background screen (criminal records check, motor vehicle report, and/or drug screen), depending on the requirements for the position. Job-related concerns noted in the background screen may disqualify you from the new position or your current role. Background results will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.